How Do I Get My Fondant Figure To Hold Something E.g. A Guitar?

Decorating By danielle1986 Updated 26 Jan 2014 , 4:38pm by victoriatwell14

danielle1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielle1986 Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 8

I'm wanting to do a rastamouse cake for my son. And two of the characters have a guitar. I was wondering how to get the character to hold the guitar. I think placing it when the arms are still soft will pull the arms down?? Or do I need to place something to hold the guitar in place while it has set. But will placing it while the arms and guitar are set will one of them just break. HELP PLEASE!!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 8

i think where people go wrong with this is that you're not making a video (i mean of course not but just bear with me) where you need to have the character pick up the guitar or anything--think about making a body that simply has a guitar attached --do you see the difference? it's simpler--

but yes you make it altogether as one--

you can use spaghetti or toothpicks or wires to give extra internal strength--

and to help things dry and stay in position, use props of any kind--wadded up paper towels--anything! tuna cans, whatever you can find that is the right height--maybe lay it on it's side--think outside the box on this--

making smaller forms will be easier on you--

best to you

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 8

Use gum paste and fondant mix to create sturdier figures.  If the guitar can go across a figures belly, then use melted chocolate to adhere it to the body for added support. :) Or as K8memphis stated, think of different ways to position it, maybe putting the guitar on a toothpick and having it stand straight up with one hand of the figure holding it. 

If you google images of  fondant figures guitars you will see how others were able to do it, I don't think that you will have any problems. :)

danielle1986 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:39am
post #4 of 8

AThank you very much ill be experimenting this week :-)

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

i'm excited for you--would love to see/hear about your progress--but no pressure--

and be sure your fondant has enough oomph to hold the design--i roll a ball of it and let it sit to see how much it flattens over a few hours or overnight -- things to add to fondant to give it the ooomph are tylose or cornstarch--

just an extra thought

danielle1986 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 10:34am
post #6 of 8

AI think iv posted a picture? Iv only really just started doing characters so there not perfect. The little mouse at the back i managed to get to hold a guitar but the one infront was harder and i was running out of time so I propped up against his arm.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 8

can't see the picture yet...

victoriatwell14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriatwell14 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 8

AI shaped my person first and made sure the arms were in place while they dried, leaving them about a day. I then placed the guitar carefully in the position I needed! [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3169543/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%