FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:17pm
post #1 of

So I was just catching up on one of my favorite shows, Project Runway, and they had to use Pantone's new "Color of the year for 2014" - "radiant orchid".  OK, this is ridiculous.  What the heck is "radiant orchid" and can someone please call it the color that it actually is because I'm looking at every color wheel I've ever owned and "radiant orchid" isn't on there.  I'm posting this here because I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of blog posts and magazine spreads pushing "radiant orchid" very, very soon ans I'm sure I'll have to use the color on a cake sometime soon.

 

Thanks!

15 replies
enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:24pm
post #2 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 
 

So I was just catching up on one of my favorite shows, Project Runway, and they had to use Pantone's new "Color of the year for 2014" - "radiant orchid".  OK, this is ridiculous.  What the heck is "radiant orchid" and can someone please call it the color that it actually is because I'm looking at every color wheel I've ever owned and "radiant orchid" isn't on there.  I'm posting this here because I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of blog posts and magazine spreads pushing "radiant orchid" very, very soon ans I'm sure I'll have to use the color on a cake sometime soon.

 

Thanks!


ROTFL, I answered a thread where a poster was trying to figure out how to achieve it, I did some research and I'm still at at loss, all I could come up with is panetone and some random number. I would call it Puplink,lol. Purple and pink combined.

FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:29pm
post #3 of

I mean come on.  Lame.  At least last year was green.  I know they called it something else but it was freakin green.  But this is a seriously made up color that, uh, we are going to have to figure out somehow...  so, so stupid.  

enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:36pm
post #4 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 
 

I mean come on.  Lame.  At least last year was green.  I know they called it something else but it was freakin green.  But this is a seriously made up color that, uh, we are going to have to figure out somehow...  so, so stupid.  


IKR. Well when you do please let us know. By the way have you experimented with making the color yet? I was going to try with some left over BC to see how many drops of Americolor pink, purple or what ever to get close to it. I think I'm going to call it"that radiant whatever color",lol.

liz at sugar Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:40pm
post #5 of

I would call it a lavender with a red undertone, instead of a blue undertone like a periwinkle.

 

Liz

howsweet Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:43pm
post #6 of

howsweet Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:45pm
post #7 of

That looks pretty much like violet with a bit of pink added to me, in terms of coloring fondant. Heaven help us all trying to photograph our cakes...

enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:01pm
post #8 of

Actually it has a little of both, red and blue make purple. I was going to use this color wheel to try and make it.

 

http://decoratorsbest.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/colorwheel1.jpg

 

and these for complementary colors.

 

http://blog.decoratorsbest.com/2014/01/07/how-to-incorporate-radiant-orchid-into-your-home-what-colors-work-best/

 

http://facethis.blogspot.com/2013/12/radiant-orchid-is-2013-pantone-color-of.html

 

howsweet Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:07pm
post #9 of

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)  I use a color wheel, but mixing food color which is a dye, is quite different from mixing paint pigments.

howsweet Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:13pm

That nail polish color is gorgeous. I would call that pink. To get that color, if I remember, I use something like neon pink with the teeniest bit of neon purple (and/or neon blue maybe - it's been awhile since I bothered with this)  and it just doesn't look very good in fondant in my experience.

enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)


Sorry howsweet, I should have quoted Liz.

 

"I would call it a lavender with a red undertone, instead of a blue undertone like a periwinkle."

 

Liz

 

I think the color is intriguing and will make for some beautiful cakes in the gallery. I wish all of you the best in using the color in the future.

 

Off to work.

 

Happy Baking

AZCouture Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:18pm

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 

enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)  I use a color wheel, but mixing food color which is a dye, is quite different from mixing paint pigments.


I use them for references, color is color, no matter what the medium is.

enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 


?

FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 

 

Inside joke, guys.  AZ and I are cool, she's being funny but only a few of us probably get the joke.  If you get it, awesome, if not, don't take offence at my account, just move on to talking about this stupid color.

FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:40pm

I just realized CC's main website colors are pretty much radiant orchid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%