What To Use In Place Of Straw To Tie Around A Cake

Decorating By davellie Updated 11 Jan 2014 , 8:10pm by davellie

davellie Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake that includes "burlap" wrapped around several of the cake layers.  This also has several strains of "hay" tied around the center the burlap.  I think I've got the burlap down but don't know what to use as the straw.  Thanks for any help.

3 replies
Dayti Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

Are you using real burlap or making out of fondant/gumpaste? If you are making it out of real burlap (which would be a bit gross since it would shed fibres all over your cake), then you may as well just use a rustic type of string around it. If you are making it from fondant/gumpaste, you could use an extruder to get very thin ropes of fondant to wrap around.

howsweet Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4


davellie Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 4

I'm using fondx I've read too many posts about real burlap!  Excellent idea - real string.  I also thought about very thin fondx then using one of my tools to roughen it up a bit then cutting thin slots to give that multiple looks of strains together.  Thanks so much for your help!  I've got my answer(s) now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%