Dummy Cakes

Decorating By joanR Updated 11 Jan 2014 , 10:56pm by joanR

joanR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanR Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I know this question must have been posted before, but can not find a answer...Does anyone know how to preserve a fake cake to have it last for a long time. I am doing a competition and i wan tot keep what i am going to make. Is there a spray? If so, goes it stay clear in color?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 7

I don't do anything special to them.  And I've had some for years.  If they attract ants, just use some ant spray.

BeckyRink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckyRink Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 7

Just keep a light piece of fabric over the dry dummy and it will last indefinitely.  The fabric keeps the sunlight out as well as the dust off the cake.

Luv Cake Blog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv Cake Blog Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 7

I agree, I don't do anything special to my dummy cakes and they last for years. Just be sure to keep them dust free and if the weather is humid you might want to put them away somewhere dark and moist free. We had an exceptional moist few days during this summer and some of my sugar flowers, which had been on a cake for YEARS, wilted. Sad. :-(

BeckyRink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckyRink Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 7

You can also just keep it in a moving style corrugated cardboard box.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

I wanted to ask you guys something since we are on the subject of dummy cakes. A bakery I know of lets the head cake decorator use real cakes as displays in the cake shop, I asked the owner why she didn't use foam ones as they would be more cost effective. The cake decorator pipes in and says " I don't like working with foam because its unrealistic". My question is would any of you actually do this?

joanR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanR Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7

thank you for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%