Boozy Cupcakes

Baking By BoozyBaketress Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 8:03pm by BoozyBaketress

BoozyBaketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozyBaketress Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking for help (as much as can be given, anyway).  I've been baking boozy cupcakes as a hobby, giving them away and they've been a real hit.  I bake any type of cupcake, add any kind of alcohol and for frosting use buttercream, Swiss meringue buttercream, whipped cream, cream cheese (all with just a tad of alcohol added). Recently friends convinced me that I should sell them.  I've done some research and while there are cupcakeries in the area, there is nobody doing my type of baking. I know how find costs of each cupcake type; however, I'm not sure how to price them as the prices of liquors I use varies so much. I don't want to overcharge anyone. Thanks for any input you can give me.

7 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

ASorry can't help you on that one but just wanted to say I like your screen name, cracks me up

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 8

bars have different prices on their different products--they have regular and premium drinks--if you have the know how to price the cupcakes just transfer that process to the booze--maybe make two or three different pricing levels --and i've never done this myself--but you could employ social media to announce the flavors this week--something like that--because offering too many choices won't really work for anybody--

of course you want to be mindful of the rules and regulations of your area--and the extra element of selling boozey food might be something to look into--

best baking--and 'bottoms up'!! hahaha

i'm not much of a drinker but i love to use it in my food too

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

While the cost of alcohol varies wildly, the cost of cupcakes should not.  They should all be priced about the same, or have a cost structure based on basic and specials. The difference in cost from one cupcake to another, based on alcohol alone, is probably pennies.

Do not  undercharge.  Do not make your margins so tight that you can't breathe.  If your pricing comes out to $3.74 for a gourmet cupcake, it is unlikely a buyer at that price would balk at $3.99.  But that is all business.  Pricing may change.

cupcake100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake100 Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 8

ALike my facebook page Velvet Bites to see my cupcakes!

BeckyRink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckyRink Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 8

Make yourself a spreadsheet with all your costs including paper, utilities, boxes, labor, etc.  Then make "ranges" for your pricing using the highest cost in each category.  Here is an example.  For the cupcakes that fit in the range under $2.00/serving, they are charged at $2.00/serving.  If it falls between $2.00-2.35, then it's $2.35/serving, etc.  You will obviously make more money on some flavors and less on others, but it balances out because all your costs and materials are covered.

White cake costs .75/serving to make so you x2 it for wholesale and x2.5-3 for retail.  This brings the actual price of the cake up to $1.50/serving for wholesale and $1.88 for retail.  Wholesale I left alone but the retail I bumped up to $2.00/serving.  Yellow cake falls within the same category, as does chocolate.  Although chocolate actually ends up being $2.02, it's close enough to $2.00 that I can keep it in the same category.

Oh and the cupcake price is a little lower because I can get more servings in cupcakes than cake per batch recipe.

Hope this helps.

BoozyBaketress Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks... that's what my friends have been calling me... either that or 1 Boozy Baker, LOL.

BoozyBaketress Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much, I'll try laying one out to see where my costs are that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%