Look At This And Tell Me

Decorating By soldiernurse Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 6:16pm by soldiernurse

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 72

how much icing you think they used between the layers?...I want to try to keep it uniform. You guys are so good and after trying to Google it, then looking at the topics to find it here [which I couldn't], I decided to ask the pros!

440749-cakes-awesome-rainbow-cake.jpg

71 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 72

idk--it looks like the icing on the slice was smoothed with a spatula--and it looks like the icing stripes in the big cake were piped on--

do you mean how thick? quarter inch or 5/8 maybe? depends on how big the cake is -- the plate in the foreground looks almost as big as the cake plate--photography makes it difficult to get the exact dimensions--you get a perspective from one to the other but you can't tell the original size exactly--

a picture of a mini tier cake can look like a giant tier cake--

maybe an 8" cake on an 11" plate and the slice on a 6" plate give or take

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 72

Maybe the real question is how much dye did they put in the batter (and what's going to come out the other end)?  :D:-o8O 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 72

ACool cake

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

idk--it looks like the icing on the slice was smoothed with a spatula--and it looks like the icing stripes in the big cake were piped on--

do you mean how thick? Yep quarter inch or 5/8 maybe? OK depends on how big the cake is -- the plate in the foreground looks almost as big as the cake plate--photography makes it difficult to get the exact dimensions--you get a perspective from one to the other but you can't tell the original size exactly--

a picture of a mini tier cake can look like a giant tier cake--

maybe an 8" cake on an 11" plate and the slice on a 6" plate give or take

**thanks, I wanted to use the same amount between each layer so that they are even.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 72

measure out two equal portions and apply that

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Maybe the real question is how much dye did they put in the batter (and what's going to come out the other end)?  :D:-o8O

lol:-D

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Cool cake

gonna be my grand-daughter's bday cake..

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 72

Quote:

measure out two equal portions and apply that

like maybe 1 cup for an 8" and 1/2 cup for a 6"?

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 72

AIf keeping it uniform is what you want you might want to try using a scoop to measure the buttercream. (When I worked in a retail cake place years ago that was what we were supposed to do.) Depending on the size of the cake, 3 or 4 level scoops evenly smoothed between each layer. That picture looks cool, but a little too perfect. I think some work was done there.

as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 72

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

Maybe the real question is how much dye did they put in the batter (and what's going to come out the other end)?  :D :o 8O  

Lol!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 72

so you're doing two tiers?

i am a grand master over thinker so it is with a lot of thought that i can tell you that you are over thinking this ;)

just slap it on there and spread it around--stick your finger in to see how thick it is and adjust--

or you could pipe it on and this will be very accurate--like use an open coupler--foolproof-

go round and round with the cake placed on your turntable--

best baking to you--

what a very special occassion! no wonder you want it just right

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 72

Quote:

so you're doing two tiers?  yes

i am a grand master over thinker so it is with a lot of thought that i can tell you that you are over thinking this ;)  you are soo right!!

just slap it on there and spread it around--stick your finger in to see how thick it is and adjust--  lol!!

or you could pipe it on and this will be very accurate--like use an open coupler--foolproof-   good idea

go round and round with the cake placed on your turntable--

best baking to you--  tks!

what a very special occassion! no wonder you want it just right  yep, yep!

soldiernurse Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

If keeping it uniform is what you want you might want to try using a scoop to measure the buttercream. (When I worked in a retail cake place years ago that was what we were supposed to do.) Depending on the size of the cake, 3 or 4 level scoops evenly smoothed between each layer.
That picture looks cool, but a little too perfect. I think some work was done there.

tks!! will try that!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 72

Quote:

If keeping it uniform is what you want you might want to try using a scoop to measure the buttercream. (When I worked in a retail cake place years ago that was what we were supposed to do.) Depending on the size of the cake, 3 or 4 level scoops evenly smoothed between each layer.
That picture looks cool, but a little too perfect. I think some work was done there.

Yeah, like they used piping to even out the icing in the layers and under the fondant.  Somebody worked really had to make a perfectly even clean cake photo.  But the coloring sure looks nice.

ps: have you ever seen those behind-the-scene shows where they do food photography. Like using mashed potatoes for ice cream. very interesting.

as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 72

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Yeah, like they used piping to even out the icing in the layers and under the fondant.  Somebody worked really had to make a perfectly even [I]clean[/I] cake photo.  But the coloring sure looks nice.

ps: have you ever seen those behind-the-scene shows where they do food photography. Like using mashed potatoes for ice cream. very interesting.

I have not seen the show, but I remember reading years ago (before Photoshop existed! *gasp*) about some of the tricks they used for photographing food for ads. Like fake ice, fake water droplets, etc. It's crazy what they do, eh? And here we are trying to make our stuff look that good and still taste great!

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Maybe the real question is how much dye did they put in the batter?

If you want to achieve those colors, here's a cool tutorial:

Step 1: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Brightness

Step 2: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Contrast

Step 3: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Vibrance

MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:29pm
post #18 of 72

Quote:

I have not seen the show, but I remember reading years ago (before Photoshop existed! *gasp*) about some of the tricks they used for photographing food for ads. Like fake ice, fake water droplets, etc. It's crazy what they do, eh? And here we are trying to make our stuff look that good and still taste great!

as you wish:  That is a really insightful point. 

as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 72

ATruly, I have been noticing lately that food, and in particular desserts and cake especially, get as heavily photo-edited as models do. So now not only can we feel like we can never quite measure up in terms of the physical appearance of our bodies, but we can feel bad about the results in our kitchen too. Aaaand then we will spend more money buying tools and gadgets to improve our results, and on and on. Sorry, little bit of a rant there. I get annoyed by things like this!

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 1:13am
post #20 of 72
Quote:

Truly, I have been noticing lately that food, and in particular desserts and cake especially, get as heavily photo-edited as models do. So now not only can we feel like we can never quite measure up in terms of the physical appearance of our bodies, but we can feel bad about the results in our kitchen too. Aaaand then we will spend more money buying tools and gadgets to improve our results, and on and on.
Sorry, little bit of a rant there. I get annoyed by things like this!

What I now have, that I did not have in the past decades are the tools, you-tube videos, and CC.com university level tutorials and tips from the Master Decorators.

What I don't have is natural talent or artistic genes. And it's Ok.  I look at my 2014 New Years Cake and I see something that was not even in the realm of possibility for me in 2013! 

Then I look at JWinslows cake and I'm like a little kindergarden kid looking in the window of the local bakery. And I am in AWE of her talent.   Just remembering our very first cakes is sure to give you a laugh.

The tools and gadgets do work, so if you can budget and afford them, keep shopping.

If I could buy the talent and natural design skills, I'd spend my whole savings account, guaranteed.

And you can be happy that you are intelligent enough to know the difference between fake & real.

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 1:28am
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

I look forward to enjoying your version of this cake.  It will be great and we know it will be REAL.

as you wish Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 2:41am
post #22 of 72

AI didn't mean to be knocking the gadgets; just the deceptive advertising and marketing that preys on insecurities in general. I love my gadgets!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 4:36am
post #23 of 72

I'd say 1/4" on 1" layers.  I'm that anal with the layers of my cakes and making then look as perfect as possible when cut:

I use an agbay to cut my cake layers and I literally use a ruler after each layer of filling to make sure there is 1/4" filling of buttercream or 1/8" layer of something viscus like curd or jam because when finished I want my cake exactly 5" tall.  I then shave 1/8" off the sides of each cake and use a cake round as a guide to make sure there is a perfectly even amount of buttercream around the sides.  I don't know how many cups that is because it's irrelevant if you want a specific height to your cake.  I have a general idea on how much buttercream to make depending on the size of the cake, but I always overshoot and make too much buttercream just in case.

I'm the wierdo on here that spends just as much time making the inside of the cake look as beautiful as the outside of the cake.

Some stylistic filters were used on my cake photo but the cake was cut cold so that's what all my cakes look like - no Photoshop required on the actual slices to make them look more perfect.  So it is very possible to to do but very time consuming - and all you need is an agbay, a ruler and lots of patience.

Good luck!

PS - your source photo was a cake totally made just for pictures and they used a ton of food coloring that I would never recommend eating.  Totally a case of making something specifically to look good for photos, since now my work regularly gets photographed and published I'm totally guilty of doing myself.  Making stuff "visually dynamic".  I did a cake for the magazine and a tutorial for here that I used so much food coloring in I would never eat it - so I made a video of me smashing it with a rolling pin.  Not everyone got the joke.  

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 4:56am
post #24 of 72

AHmm. Kind of adds a whole new meaning to the phrase, "smash cake." But a rolling pin?!? Should have borrowed Gallagher's "Sledge-O-Matic."

"Pound cake?" (WHAM!) "I guess it DOES!"

(Not a big fan of heavy applications of dye, either. Can't think of many desserts I find less appetizing than red velvet cake. With the possible exception of a mix I saw on the grocer's shelves this year, for red AND GREEN velvet cake. Thinking of working up some strawberry jam with a little powdered sugar, to pipe the strawberry shapes for my next strawberry marble cake: I don't want to add enough red food coloring to get even strawberry jam BC all the way to a pure red! And with nothing but McCormick drops from the grocer, it would take at least half a bottle, anyway!)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 5:34am
post #25 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 
 ...1/4" on 1" layers.   the layers of my cakes look as perfect as possible when cut:

I'm the wierdo [No, no, no!!!  You are an inspiration!]  on here that spends just as much time making the inside of the cake look as beautiful as the outside of the cake.

... it is very possible to to do but very time consuming - and all you need is an agbay, a ruler and lots of patience.  [and incredible skills!]

I aspire to your level of beautiful, precise, CUT, pieces of cake goodness.  You are a huge inspiration.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 5:42am
post #26 of 72

Awe, come on, it's just cake, right :D

OK, here's the video in case you all want a laugh:

http://instagram.com/p/dpNoVGGxN2/

LOL

Pin  = 0

Cake = 1

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:38am
post #27 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Awe, come on, it's just cake, right :D

OK, here's the video in case you all want a laugh:

http://instagram.com/p/dpNoVGGxN2/

LOL

Pin  = 0

Cake = 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........I can't believe you really did that..:o

too funny.... at least that's one thing I could do without being taught. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 7:40am
post #28 of 72

Yup.  It made me laugh.  (the cake sure showed that ol' rolling pin, didn't it!)

as you wish Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 1:38pm
post #29 of 72

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

(Not a big fan of heavy applications of dye, either. Can't think of many desserts I find less appetizing than red velvet cake. With the possible exception of a mix I saw on the grocer's shelves this year, for red AND GREEN velvet cake. Thinking of working up some strawberry jam with a little powdered sugar, to pipe the strawberry shapes for my next strawberry marble cake: I don't want to add enough red food coloring to get even strawberry jam BC all the way to a pure red! And with nothing but McCormick drops from the grocer, it would take at least half a bottle, anyway!)

I am so with you on this! Apparently when red velvet cake was first made the red was not even what was important, it was the velvet that was the issue. The red was a side effect of the method used to achieve the desired texture. (That must be true because I read it on the internet!)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 2:07pm
post #30 of 72

A

Original message sent by as you wish

I am so with you on this! Apparently when red velvet cake was first made the red was not even what was important, it was the velvet that was the issue. The red was a side effect of the method used to achieve the desired texture. (That must be true because I read it on the internet!)

Absolutely true. The cocoa reacted with the baking soda. Dutch processing now neutralizes that reaction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%