3D Cake - Moulding Icing?

Decorating By Kattcasablanca Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 12:39am by MommyMommy

Kattcasablanca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kattcasablanca Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all

Apologies if this is a very simple question/answer, however I'm relatively new to cake making and have never made such a cake before. Below is a picture of the cake my sister wants me to make her (sitting down, not standing) - but with this exact expression.

I've happily made character cakes before, however they're usually flat with the base icing and detail (such as mouth and eyes) simply stuck on top. This one I'm a little unsure on how to do.. I intend on moulding the cake to the desired shape but I'm unsure of how to mould the icing to give it dimension - such as the eye being slightly sunken into the head and the cheeks and corners of the mouth being raised. The only way I could think of doing this was to mould the cake, cover in the green base icing, add the mouth and eye detail, then build up layers of green around the mouth and eyes and blend this icing back into the base green (presumably with water?). I'm not sure if this is even possible and I don't know if there's another way to do this and I'm completely missing it?

Apologies again if this is a rather simple technique, but I don't make cakes on a professional level (just for friends and family!) so am rather limited in what I know. 

Thanks kindly!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6
you could do it your way with modeling chocolate--because the heat of your hand can remove any seams--

but for fondant what about re-arranging your plan--

place eye and mouth fondant portions first--then cover with the green--cut the green off to reveal the eye, etc. and mold the green mouth with the extra fondant you already placed underneath there --add the cornea after that--

you got this

Kattcasablanca Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 6

AI'm not sure if I feel confident enough to place the eye down first and then cut the green around it! But I didn't think of modelling chocolate at all - I've never used it before - is it as easy to roll and shape to the cake as fondant?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

well maybe so--modeling chocolate is another learning curve--no biggie necessarily--

you would like modeling choco because you could even place a strip around the eye and rub the seam out with the warmth of your hand--

have you worked with fondant before? what kind of icing are you familiar with?

Kattcasablanca Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:31am
post #5 of 6

ASo sorry, I never got back to you before! So I had a go with modelling chocolate - I do like it although I definitely need some practice! Here's the cake I did last night - I still need to do some work around the eye and mouth and smooth it all out, but otherwise I'm pleased. Definitely going to start working with modelling chocolate in the future![ATTACHMENT=1475]image.jpg (941k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 12:39am
post #6 of 6

CUTE!  :smile:  nice job... makes me want to try it sometime... did you make the eye out of fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%