Bleeding Colors On My Cookies.

Baking By Faradaye Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 8:36pm by Faradaye

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 6

AI made some cute dinosaur cookies. I outlined with black, and then filled with either green or purple. Unfortunately I had some bleeding of the black into the fill color.

It didn't bleed everywhere, and not even on every cookie. I did the bodies on parchment paper, and then transferred them onto the wet coated biscuit the next day. The bleeding happened while they were drying overnight on the parchment.

I waited about four hours between doing the black outline and then filling with my color. Should I have waited longer? Perhaps left the outline overnight before filling?

Any advice or tips are welcome!

5 replies
phoenixaz85040 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenixaz85040 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 5:48am
post #2 of 6

same thing here... feeling failed...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:13am
post #3 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faradaye 

I made some cute dinosaur cookies. I outlined with black, and then filled with either green or purple. Unfortunately I had some bleeding of the black into the fill color.

It didn't bleed everywhere, and not even on every cookie. I did the bodies on parchment paper, and then transferred them onto the wet coated biscuit the next day. The bleeding happened while they were drying overnight on the parchment.

I waited about four hours between doing the black outline and then filling with my color. Should I have waited longer? Perhaps left the outline overnight before filling?

Any advice or tips are welcome!

roll out chocolate cookies, royal icing marbeling.

I did these cookies outlined in black Royal Icing. The outline dried so quickly, that when the last cookies was outlined, I could fill in the first one with the colors.  No bleeding. I followed the 12 second rule for the outline and about a 20 second rule for the flood.  I use CK brand package Royal Icing mix.

It is very dry - low humidity here in winter, if you are high humidity you may want to look into using a food dehydrator.

Faradaye Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:01am
post #4 of 6

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3149643/width/200/height/400]roll out chocolate cookies, royal icing marbeling. [/URL]

I did these cookies outlined in black Royal Icing. The outline dried so quickly, that when the last cookies was outlined, I could fill in the first one with the colors.  No bleeding. I followed the 12 second rule for the outline and about a 20 second rule for the flood.  I use CK brand package Royal Icing mix.

It is very dry - low humidity here in winter, if you are high humidity you may want to look into using a food dehydrator.

Thanks for your reply. Those cookies are gorgeous.

I try for 'soft peak' royal icing to do the outline, and then 15 second royal icing to flood the middle.

I agree the outline dries very quickly, and if I flood with the color after a few minutes it initially looks beautiful. Both colors remain crisp. But it's after the cookies have been left overnight that I can see some of the black color has seeped into the fill color next to it. Is just color that's moving across, not the icing itself.

When it happened the first time I thought I needed to leave the black to dry longer, so next batch I waited about four hours. And I am terrible at waiting! But the next day - color bleed again.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 6

Is it really humid where you are? Because this can cause bleeding.

Two tips that might help you:

- Add the black paste to your royal icing and let it rest overnight. This will ensure the icing will absorb the black color and bleeding is less likely to occur.

- Outline your cookie with black and let it rest at least 12 hours. If you are outlining your cookie and flooding it right away, bleeding is going to happen. Even if you wait an hour or two. Even if it hardens and it SEEMS dry, it's really not. Let it rest overnight, and then fill.

Good luck. Experimenting is what's really worked for me.

Faradaye Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by SweetCarolines

Is it really humid where you are? Because this can cause bleeding.

Two tips that might help you:

- Add the black paste to your royal icing and let it rest overnight. This will ensure the icing will absorb the black color and bleeding is less likely to occur.

- Outline your cookie with black and let it rest at least 12 hours. If you are outlining your cookie and flooding it right away, bleeding is going to happen. Even if you wait an hour or two. Even if it hardens and it SEEMS dry, it's really not. Let it rest overnight, and then fill.

Good luck. Experimenting is what's really worked for me.

Thank you. I will try both these ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%