The Neely's Red Velvet Cake

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 21 Dec 2016 , 2:56pm by 640Cake

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

I have been posting a lot about red velvet cake recipes and the reason is because I want a recipe that makes enough batter for 3  nice 9" layers . Most of the recipes that claim to be for 3 9" pans seem to all make enough batter for just three thin layers. I found this recipe that comes from the Neely's cookbook "Down Home with the Neely's"   it actually seems like the Cakeman raven's recipe doubled. I have not tried it yet but thought I would post it in case some one else wants to try it. Also this recipe like most good red velvet cake recipes calls for oil but I noticed that some people either use all butter or half butter and half oil and I was wondering for those who have done that how do you keep the cake from being dry.  I guess I am assuming that it is butter that makes cakes dry since I have seen a cake recipe that used only oil and was dry.

Neely's Red Velvet Cake

Yield Makes one 3-layer 9-inch cake and enough frosting to frost a 3-layer 9-inch cake Ingredients

Red velvet cake: Nonstick vegetable cooking spray, for pans

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting

5 cups cake flour (not self-rising)

2 teaspoons kosher salt

3 cups sugar

3 cups canola oil

4 large eggs

4 tablespoons red food coloring (one 2-ounce bottle)

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 cups well-shaken buttermilk

1 tablespoon baking soda

5 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Cream cheese frosting:

Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened

5 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar

1½ cups unsalted butter, softened

1½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

FOR THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray three 9 × 2-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, and line with parchment paper. Spray the lining; dust with cocoa, tapping out any excess. Set aside. Whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl; set aside. Mix the sugar and oil at medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time; mix well after each addition. Mix in the food coloring and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small nonreactive bowl. Add the baking-soda mixture to the batter, and mix at medium speed for 10 seconds. Divide the batter equally among the pans. Tap the pans on the counter to remove bubbles. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert the cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.

FOR THE FROSTING: In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a handheld electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter at low speed until incorporated. Add the sugar and vanilla. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.

5 replies
Honeybun57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybun57 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 6

A

Original message sent by vmanbakes

I have been posting a lot about red velvet cake recipes and the reason is because I want a recipe that makes enough batter for 3  nice 9" layers . Most of the recipes that claim to be for 3 9" pans seem to all make enough batter for just three thin layers. I found this recipe that comes from the Neely's cookbook "Down Home with the Neely's"   it actually seems like the Cakeman raven's recipe doubled. I have not tried it yet but thought I would post it in case some one else wants to try it. Also this recipe like most good red velvet cake recipes calls for oil but I noticed that some people either use all butter or half butter and half oil and I was wondering for those who have done that how do you keep the cake from being dry.  I guess I am assuming that it is butter that makes cakes dry since I have seen a cake recipe that used only oil and was dry.

Neely's Red Velvet Cake

Yield Makes one 3-layer 9-inch cake and enough frosting to frost a 3-layer 9-inch cake Ingredients

Red velvet cake: Nonstick vegetable cooking spray, for pans 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting 5 cups cake flour (not self-rising) 2 teaspoons kosher salt 3 cups sugar 3 cups canola oil 4 large eggs 4 tablespoons red food coloring (one 2-ounce bottle) 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk[B][/B] 1 tablespoon baking soda 5 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Cream cheese frosting: Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened 5 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions FOR THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray three 9 × 2-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, and line with parchment paper. Spray the lining; dust with cocoa, tapping out any excess. Set aside. Whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl; set aside. Mix the sugar and oil at medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time; mix well after each addition. Mix in the food coloring and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small nonreactive bowl. Add the baking-soda mixture to the batter, and mix at medium speed for 10 seconds. Divide the batter equally among the pans. Tap the pans on the counter to remove bubbles. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert the cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.

FOR THE FROSTING: In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a handheld electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter at low speed until incorporated. Add the sugar and vanilla. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

Is that correct ? 3 cups of oil.   That's a lot of liquid with the eggs and buttermilk too.  WOW!

Winters0506 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winters0506 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

Made this cake several times. Very moist and rich .

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 4:14am
post #5 of 6

I would like to know if 3 cups of oil is correct too. It seems like too much to me!! Is this a typo graphical error???

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 6

The recipe was doubled.  1.5 cups in one batch.  I don't use this particular recipe, but my red velvet also uses 1.5 cups of oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%