Cake Tins

Decorating By deborah mac Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 9:47pm by Annabakescakes

deborah mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah mac Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 7

hi all, just a quick question if anyone can help? can you use ordinary cooking pans to make a sponge cake in? i have thick stainless steel ones with 2 small handles on each side, was just wondering if they can be used for baking cakes? thanks x

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

I've baked in many types of pans, as long as they could go into the oven and wouldn't leak.

deborah mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah mac Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 7

thanks,i was worried it would burn too quickly as my pans are very thick,retaining too much heat if you understand what i mean? gonna give it a go and see how i get on.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 7

You could use bake-even strips. I make my own by soaking newspaper, wringing out excess water, and wrapping in aluminum foild. Then I hold them onto the pan with binder clips. That keeps the edges from cooking too fast.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 7

Your heavy pans might give you the opposite reaction. It may take longer to bake because of the thicker walls. Bakers often use two cookie sheets instead of one if the cookie bottoms begin to brown too fast.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 7

Mimi's right, as usual. :smile:

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 7

I would think they would retain heta, so i would tip them out of the pan after 10 minutes, no more. Take them out when there are still crumbs on the toothpick stuck in the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%