Struggling With Fondant

Decorating By CiaoAnnie Updated 7 Jan 2014 , 1:06pm by CiaoAnnie

CiaoAnnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiaoAnnie Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 3:08am
post #1 of 5

I continue to struggle with getting fondant to lay smoothly on my cakes.  I feel like my fondant always wrinkles around the bottom... any thoughts?  All the tutorials I watch seem to make it look super simple, but I can't seem to make it work!  I get creative with covering my wrinkles, but would love to improve my technique!  I appreciate any recommendations :)

4 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 3:28am
post #2 of 5

Yes, and you'll do a palm slap to your forehead when you hear this.  Elevate your cake on something that's a little bit smaller than the cake plate that the cake is on -  it just need it to be a little bit off of the counter and the fondant will puddle onto the counter and not around the base of your cake.  Take scissors and cut off some of the excess then remove the cake from the mini stand then take a pizza cutter and cut closer to the cake.

CiaoAnnie Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 3:34am
post #3 of 5

D'oh... can't wait to try this!!  Thanks for the suggestion :)

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 4:11am
post #4 of 5

That's an excellent idea Denise, I think I will try to use it next time. I struggled with fondant too. I find that if I watch someone else do it I lean better as opposed to reading it in a book.

My top would always tear and the sides would have creases in them. After I watched this video it helped me so much. Practicing the technique has made my fondant skills a lot better and it's not so intimidating anymore.

CiaoAnnie Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for sending the tutorial... this is also super helpful!  I think I may need to also work on rolling my fondant thinner to start with... can't wait to try another cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%