Is This An Attack On The Newbie

Lounge By paperlace1 Updated 5 Jan 2014 , 1:32am by kikiandkyle

paperlace1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paperlace1 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 42

I found this posted by one of our members on face book. i am shocked! and this is what caused my other posts yesterday. The words say one thing but reading between that lines conveys an an attitude that rings alarm bells for me. what shocked more was the number of "likes" this post received. 

IS IT ANY WONDER THAT NEWBIES FEEL SO PUSHED OUT ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

I have to ask if this is as innocent as this person wants it to appear why post it on FB and not on this forum?

I propose a new attitude this year, decorators. That newbie that wants to give away a 3 tier cake away for $75...let em. Send them a friendly message and let them know you are available for advice if need be. And leave it alone. Don't go on a rant about it. That customer wants to tell you what they'll pay you...thank them for their time. And leave it alone. That undercutter steals another job from you...be thankful you didn't work for free. And leave it alone. Let this be the year of leaving. things. alone. And seeing what you can do to be a more attractive business and person in general. I know I will be leaving many things alone.

41 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 42

I don't see that as an attack at all. To me it is pretty much saying  don't sweat things you have no control over...it also says they will make themselves available for advice. I see it as a very positive post.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I don't see that as an attack at all. To me it is pretty much saying  don't sweat things you have no control over...it also says they will make themselves available for advice. I see it as a very positive post.

I agree with batterup. But also, CC members are allowed to post on their Facebook pages without others cross-referencing and stirring the pot. I see no point in starting a fight.  

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 42

ADoesn't seem to have anything between the lines?! I agree with the sentiment too. Live and let live.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperlace1 

I found this posted by one of our members on face book. i am shocked! and this is what caused my other posts yesterday. The words say one thing but reading between that lines conveys an an attitude that rings alarm bells for me. what shocked more was the number of "likes" this post received. 

IS IT ANY WONDER THAT NEWBIES FEEL SO PUSHED OUT ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

I have to ask if this is as innocent as this person wants it to appear why post it on FB and not on this forum?

I propose a new attitude this year, decorators. That newbie that wants to give away a 3 tier cake away for $75...let em. Send them a friendly message and let them know you are available for advice if need be. And leave it alone. Don't go on a rant about it. That customer wants to tell you what they'll pay you...thank them for their time. And leave it alone. That undercutter steals another job from you...be thankful you didn't work for free. And leave it alone. Let this be the year of leaving. things. alone. And seeing what you can do to be a more attractive business and person in general. I know I will be leaving many things alone.

I think you are taking the word "newbie" waaaaay too sensitively. The way I take that post was frustration at under-cutters, which a lot of times, happen to be people new to business. They jump into SELLING cakes without taking appropriate steps first of checking with the health department, figuring out recipes, learning the basics of simple cake design including how to stack and transport a cake. Then they want a professional's recipes which tokk that professional months, sometimes years to perfect and they developed on their own time with their own money...all of which some of these new decorators demand, not request, for free. They haven't priced out any ingredients/overhead (home or brick and mortar) don't charge for labor and end up undercutting the cake business as a whole. There is a frustration with under-cutters, because none of us want to work on an elaborate 4 tier cake for $2 an hour, which is what someone selling a 3 tiered cake for $75 is working for...minimum wage should apply for cake labor also.

I have only been in business for 6 months..yup, I'm a newbie. And I have a wonderful group of experienced decorator friends that I cherish not just for their cake wisdom, I've built friendships with them. But there are cake leaches who want to suck every bit of advice, knowledge and experience out of them on a daily basis. It gets draining for a professional to be "on call" ALL the time answering hundreds of questions from people all over the cyber world a lot of times, without even getting a simple thank you in return. In my limited time being in business, I've experienced it personally several times. Decorators flooding my inbox with "how do I do this design" "what is your recipe" "how do I make this" and I usually take the time to try to help them all. You know how many of them come back to say thank you?? Very few. In my personal situation, I have 6 children that I also homeschool, as well as trying to grow my business..free time answering questions is not my idea of free time. But most decorators do it gladly, we like to help people!

I know you are frustrated from your previous posts, but considering how much free time and education these professionals give away (which they could have charged at least $19.99 like a crafsty class) I think you might be able to understand their frustration at ungratefulness. 

The advice you are given on here and on facebook pages for free from some of the world's most successful cake artists happens way more often than the attacks you are focusing on. And yes, sometimes the advice can be harsh. But most of the times that harshness comes from a good place, professionals don't want to see new decorators fail and get hurt by cheap clients or hurt a bride on her wedding day by taking an order they were not ready to take. Most of the professionals I know have huge hearts and share willingly.

That facebook post was a post to fellow decorating professionals who get flooded with questions on their pages every day on HOW to handle those cake leach people. In addition to filling their orders, these professionals also try to educate people to not be taken advantage of by cheap customers who will nickel and dime them and have them working for free. A lot of newbies learn the hard way, and end up seeing the value in their pricing advice. But some people refuse to sit down for themselves and will continue to undercut the very professionals they have learned from. I think that is the frustration you are feeling from that facebook post. 

But with anything, gratitude goes a long way!!

Hope this may lend some insight for you! Sorry it's so long, I tried to edit..but couldn't help myself!! :roll:

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 42

AHow dare you!

I happen to know the person who posted that on their PERSONAL FB page. It was honest & heartfelt not some obscure or veiled reference to CC. Believe me, that girl speaks her mind.

There is no need for reading in between the lines. She wrote exactly what he meant.

I will venture that she posted it in FB not here for many reasons. It was to her "FB friends not CC strangers." It was related to a New Year and a new start. Perhaps she even knew what a big ole pot she would be stirring I she posted it here. Didn't seem to bother you though right?!

Shame shame on you.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 42

AOh Tina Heron, you lovely creature. Crawl back in your troll cave, cause you were already deleted and banned from my page early this morning. Have a lovely year!

AZCouture Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 42

AThanks everyone! This person had to leave several comments on more than one post. Quite simply, click unlike if you don't care for the message or the page. But that doesn't get you any attention, right? Right.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 42

AI don't get it. I have read it 3 times and I can't make it insinuate anything but what it actually says. When professianals tell people they are charging too little, we get attacked. When we say someone is not up for the cake they have said they will do, we get attacked. When someone asked for constructive critism on a cake with many flaws, we give it and get attacked because what the person actually wants is sparkle and unicorns blown up their up their butt, not the truth. It is the professional under attack here, not newbies.

What this post says to me in my own words is "professionals -we get attacked when offering helpful advice to inexperienced cakers, so let them be and we can all just get along. " I see an honest effort to stop the bickering. Commendable, but with trolls like you, not likely to happen.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 42

In short, OP - Your post is an intentional attack because you left messages on this persons page Before you came here.  So much for starting the new year with a new attitude and letting things go.  This was just not right and quite frankly you owe her an apology.

Have a good New Year

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

In short, OP - Your post is an intentional attack because you left messages on this persons page Before you came here.  So much for starting the new year with a new attitude and letting things go.  This was just not right and quite frankly you owe her an apology.

Have a good New Year

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 42

AIf you go out of your way looking for a pretext to accuse people of personal attacks I can guarantee that you will find many examples. This has the side effect of diminishing your reputation to the point where no one will pay attention when you point out an actual personal attack.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Have a good New Year

Not sure why the OP has a chip on their shoulder, but this is an excellent response.

Liz

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 42

AThe only 'attacker' here is you. That was a fb post, nothing to do with cc, you are seriously out of line. It is a positive post giving great advice, which is why so many of us liked it. I agree with DD, shame on you.

Apparently the only reason you come to cc is to try and start drama and arguments.

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 42

As a matter of fact the post was so good. I am going to adopt the "live and let live" as my 2014 resolution.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 42

I didn't realize that posting on cake central precludes you from posting anywhere else on the internet. Or that posting elsewhere on the internet always refers to something that's happening on cake central.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 42

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I didn't realize that posting on cake central precludes you from posting anywhere else on the internet. Or that posting elsewhere on the internet always refers to something that's happening on cake central.

Exactly! But then, the OP is obviously a troll who has nothing better to do since they aren't busy making cakes!

AZCouture Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 42

AOne of the comments I deleted was left on a post of mine asking where everyone had come from, how they found my page. The comment was "OMG someone stop this person." I take that to mean, stop me from posting...on my own page? So, yeah, there's some insight as to the purpose of op's post here today.

botoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
botoco Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 42

Add me to the list of those who see nothing wrong or offensive about the Facebook post. What I do find wrong is your bringing it here in public for the sole purpose of attacking the poster.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 42

ASeriously, az? I saw that post, nothing in need of 'stopping'. Seems someone either has a serious jealousy issue, or is seriously attention hungry. Either way, what immature behavior.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 42

AUmmm wth?? I don't understand? If someone wants to post on FB and not here then what business is it of yours? In no way did I feel like that statement was attacking anybody, and why bother "reading between the lines"? It is what it is and I have to say I agree with it and also the statement that this person obviously wanted to share it with her FB friends and not CC strangers.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:42pm
post #22 of 42

AStop posting your freakishly awesome cakes on your own page, AZ! How could you?!?

paperlace1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paperlace1 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:42pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

How dare you!

I happen to know the person who posted that on their PERSONAL FB page. It was honest & heartfelt not some obscure or veiled reference to CC. Believe me, that girl speaks her mind.

There is no need for reading in between the lines. She wrote exactly what he meant.

I will venture that she posted it in FB not here for many reasons. It was to her "FB friends not CC strangers." It was related to a New Year and a new start. Perhaps she even knew what a big ole pot she would be stirring I she posted it here. Didn't seem to bother you though right?!

Shame shame on you.

it is a shame then that consideration  was not given to both places being open to public scrutiny and interpretation. the whole forum is laced with "not good enough" newbie  innuendos and as a newbie I am sick of it. i came here to make friends and to learn. if putting her comment on here would have stirring the pot then ANY public forum would do the same. If the expert mafia on CC have nothing else to to offer in the way of support and friendship then why stay? yes i left seveal post on the fb page in an effort to temper the attitude that was developing. I have been on several forums but NEVER experienced this type of under currant. against a section of the membership. As for free advice - it was given without pressure. If the expert mafia no longer wish to give that advice then the only action they need  to take is not to answer the post. Making a public statement is asking for a public response. It is my personal opinion that this FB message is another newbie attack it is just tied up with ribbon to make it look pretty! And as a person of a FREE WORLD i have the RIGHT to give my opinion regardless. If comments are meant to be private then there are methods to achieve that

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:50pm
post #24 of 42

AYou came here to make friends by attempting to publicly shame and attack someone? So much for the anti bullying line on your profile. Even if there was an 'attitude' forming, it doesn't fall on you to temper it. You chose to like her page, to read it and to post.

Get off your high horse, and try re examining your own words and actions. Self insight is sadly such a rare thing.

AZCouture Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:51pm
post #25 of 42

AThis is laughable, honestly entertaining! You really think that is an attack, you really do. I am sorry for you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:04pm
post #26 of 42

AI think I must be drunk because this makes less than no sense.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:05pm
post #27 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperlace1 

it is a shame then that consideration  was not given to both places being open to public scrutiny and interpretation. the whole forum is laced with "not good enough" newbie  innuendos and as a newbie I am sick of it. i came here to make friends and to learn. if putting her comment on here would have stirring the pot then ANY public forum would do the same. If the expert mafia on CC have nothing else to to offer in the way of support and friendship then why stay? yes i left seveal post on the fb page in an effort to temper the attitude that was developing. I have been on several forums but NEVER experienced this type of under currant. against a section of the membership. As for free advice - it was given without pressure. If the expert mafia no longer wish to give that advice then the only action they need  to take is not to answer the post. Making a public statement is asking for a public response. It is my personal opinion that this FB message is another newbie attack it is just tied up with ribbon to make it look pretty! And as a person of a FREE WORLD i have the RIGHT to give my opinion regardless. If comments are meant to be private then there are methods to achieve that

You are absolutely free to "voice" your opinion on any public forum.  The members of that forum are then free to express their opinions of your opinion.  It is not a right exclusively to you.  When you post on a page owned by a person, that person then gets to decide to leave or delete your comments.  It is not free press.  It is censorable.

When you say "The whole forum is laced with not good enough" are you referring to Cake Central?  If so, you should really reconsider your membership.  

Furthermore, it is not your place to "temper" the attitude of anyone's personal FB page.  How self righteous of you.  Certainly there are those of us who try to do so on this very public forum, but is quite out of line in the other arena.

You should really follow your own advice.  "Making a public statement is asking for public response."  That is exactly what you have received.  

AZCouture Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:06pm
post #28 of 42

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I think I must be drunk because this makes less than no sense.

I'm thinking something along those lines too. I mean there's misunderstanding, and then there's just plain, I don't know what this is other thant trolling.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:06pm
post #29 of 42

**looks for Tommy Gun**  Dang....I can only find my extruder.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:12pm
post #30 of 42

To answer the question put across in the title, "Is this an attack on the Newbie?" No, it is not, it is an attack on the professional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%