Cake Design Ideas

Decorating By mbakes33 Updated 2 Jan 2014 , 3:51pm by -K8memphis

mbakes33 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 12:34am
post #1 of 5

Hi!

Thanks for stopping by and happy new year!

So, I'm a journalism student with an avid obsession with baking and I'm looking to combine the two for my final fashion article. 

For the article, I want to design and shoot a few buttercream cakes, or maybe even brownies... 

The catch is, the cakes have to somehow be related to a fashion designer. I'm racking my brains trying to come up with a suitable and easy design. One idea i've had is to pipe little white bows over a white buttercream cake, to represent Chanel's SS14 collection: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234679830556489650/

What do you think? I'd really appreciate a second opinion slash some inspiration! I'm not really a fashion-y type of person so I guess thats why I;m finding this so darn difficult. I'm awful at covering cakes in fondant (even though I work at a cake dec school...) so that's why I'd like to stick to a naked cake or brownies. 

Any advice welcome!! Thank you!

Love Em

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:06am
post #2 of 5

i use a white glaze on my brownies which of course is so easy to apply--then splash on some bows and you're there--

just powdered sugar and water--done--if you want it to cover completely--put it in a piping bag so you can aim it where you want it--

what would also be cool is her logo cut out of brownies and glaze it--

y'know how she has that one jacket style like this:

http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2012/04/02/watch-a-chanel-jacket-get-made-before-your-eyes/

you could do some coconut trim to mimic the fringe--just even sprinkled around on the board at the bottom of the brownies--

and see the pocket flaps--look like brownies-- a little montage to cocoa--

i'd really play up the coco cocoa thing--

sounds like too much fun

mbakes33 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:39am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply K8memphis! 

How do you get the glaze to look even on the brownies though? Surely a glaze would harden too quickly to cover an entire brownie with? I love your cocoa-coco idea, I could make a stencil and use cocoa powder!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

you apply it all at once--if you want something super even steven--use fondant or ice them with buttercream all perfectly--this is more of an impressionistic thing--bringing in different elements to evoke the fashion and the food--

if you add titanium dioxide you can get an opaque glaze otherwise the brownies peek through the glaze--

just some thoughts for you--

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%