Arent Edible Frosting Sheets Supposed To Meld Into The Icing, Mine Arent.

Decorating By baker101 Updated 7 Jan 2014 , 10:33pm by hbquikcomjamesl

baker101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker101 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 13

I just got an edible printer for Christmas and did a ton of research before buying and how to use everything. I purchased from a recommended company who frequents Cake Central and everything is working great however Im not pleased with the frosting sheets (not wafer paper definitely frosting sheets). Ive tried 3 cakes now all with fresh buttercream and I laid down the images, definitely should be enough moisture for it to adhere and soften. It sticks fine but the sheet never softens and "melds" shall we say into the icing like the many documents I read said. When you cut into them they still have the same consistency as when I placed them on the cake. It tastes like Im eating paper, I thought they were kind of supposed to become moist when placed on the cake and take on the consistency of icing? Is it always supposed to feel/taste like paper or does this aspect differ from each company. I feel as though I maybe should try another brand. Any input would be much appreciated.

12 replies
dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 13

same here!!  Would love to hear what others say.  I order new thinking my old sheets were dried.  Same results.  I even coated cookies with a mixture of corn syrup and water, painted it on and applied the images.  When cookies were ate you still could remove chunks of the images.  Not good!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 13

Frosting sheets have a backing on them that needs to be peeled away before applying.  Rice paper does not have any and if you aren't going to use either the rice paper or frosting sheet right away then you should keep them in a zip loc bag.  They dry out if not kept properly.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 13

I've had the same problem and asked the girls in my cake club about them and they all say the same thing.  They stick but don't melt into (and become one with the icing).  So far it hasn't been invented yet. :-(  Probably because the image might run or bleed if it did melt into the icing.

baker101 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 12:07am
post #5 of 13

I followed all instructions, the frosting sheets are premium frosting sheets brand new, they were all used after 10min ink drying time, the buttercream was fresh no crusting, backing peeled off easy and adhered to the cake quite nicely just the frosting sheet still kinda keeps a paper like texture and never gets soft enough to become icing like texture still feels like paper when eating it. I know there a tons of people who use edible printers, does your frosting sheet still feel like paper when eating it even after hours of application on buttercream? What brand of frosting sheets do you use?

I also tried just eating a small square from a new blank piece just to see how long it took to dissolve in my mouth and it took forever, just doesn't seem right. Sounds silly but Im just trying to figure out if that's just the way it is and live with it or if I need to purchase them elsewhere for better quality.

Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #6 of 13

AI do think different brands give different quality. Even the ones we use start good but with a little dryness they get hard so fast. But you will probably find a difference if you try another brand.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 12:52am
post #7 of 13

Hi,

The more moisture the more it melds in to the cake.  Buttercream has shortening or oils in it which will make it harder to meld in.  But moisture is the key.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:45am
post #8 of 13

I hate the sheets that melt into the cake because they are so flimsy you can't cut them by hand with scissors. I have hot hands and they will just melt, and no, my hands aren't sweaty, lol. Dry, but hot. The Icing Images sheets are thick and sturdy and flexible, I don't mind the paper feeling, just get the thin sheets once an you will never use them again.

baker101 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 12:12am
post #9 of 13

good point, I guess too thin would be hard to handle.

dreamacres Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 4:16am
post #10 of 13

The old ones were harder to handle but no one wants to serve paper like images!!!  I need to do some research and try to find what has changed and get the others.  I use images alot and no amount of moisture can make these things melt.  

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 9:22am
post #11 of 13

We sell two brands, Lucks which is thin and Premium which is the more flexible sheet and it is thicker.  We sell both because of the preferences people have at times for a thinner sheet.  We use to sell two other brands which were more in the middle ground.  The two other brands stopped selling to the point where we discontinued them and no one ever requested them.  The Premium outsells the Lucks about 99-1.   My guess if you are having problems with it merging it doesn't disinigrate, it just merges, then there may be something in your frosting recipe that is preventing it. If your frosting recipe crusts over, then you will have to remoisten it.  The moisture does act as a glue to adhere it to the frosting, but you must have moisture.  While I prefer water as the moistening agent, others like piping gel or vodka.  I know some people make fondant plaques out of them as well, but again they would use moisture to adhere the sheet to the fondant.  Please let me know if I can answer any further questions or assist you in any way.

dreamacres Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 13

As always Icing Images you are so great with  customers service.  I feel it is just a matter of personal preferences and I will be sure to order the Lucks next time.  When I recently used on cookies I painted each cookies with a mixture of mostly water with a little bit of corn syrup added and they still did not melt.  The plus was even with all that water no bleeding of images which would have not been possible with Lucks.  I tried it both on cookies with no icing, (image added directly to cookies) and with cookies with fondant.  Thank you Icing Images!!!  

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 13

I've never had an issue with edible printing media failing to fuse to the frosting (the cold BC recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born, or variations thereon, or DH canned chocolate frosting), or having any noticeably papery texture once fused to the frosting.

On the 2013 Leland Award cake, I was a bit concerned, as the media my new edible printing supplier used was thicker than the Lucks and DecoPac media I'd dealt with in the past, and (unlike those) it didn't seem to care whether I chilled it before peeling and applying or not, and the scrap I tasted had a much tougher and more papery texture than the others. But in the few hours between decorating and serving, everything had indeed fused and softened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%