For London Bakers - 'must See' For London/uk Visitor

Baking By pixiefuncakes Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 10:02pm by pixiefuncakes

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 6:33am
post #1 of 21

My family and I are planning a trip to the UK next June/July (traveling from Australia)  and I want to start researching any must see's.  We will be visiting Scotland predominantly but will spend some time in London and hopefully Paris as well.

Any suggestions please?

20 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 7:58am
post #2 of 21

AHow long will you be here?

pixiefuncakes Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:56am
post #3 of 21

Probably a couple of weeks in Scotland, then a few days in London and Paris

debcons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debcons Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 21

AIf it's a short visit and time is limited I would hop on andd off city bus tours and you get to see a lot o london in one trip, then pick specific must sees and hop off at these points.you can get good deals on th internet.

pixiefuncakes Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:38am
post #5 of 21

Thank you, I actually was thinking cake oriented things, as in shops etc.  I don't think I made myself very clear.  doh!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 21

Hmmm, I don't know about any shops specifically (I don't live in London and tend to buy online) but a lot of our celebrity/famous bakers have shops and cafes which you can visit and buy cakes from.  I am planning a 'cake pilgrimage' with a friend into London to go around them all when I have time!

If you have time and can venture a bit out of the city, you could go and visit Squires Kitchen?  They both run courses and have a large range of products in a shop... Hope you have a lovely time :-)

debcons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debcons Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 21

AChoccywoccydoodah www.choccywoccydoodah.com

30 Google reviews 30-32 Foubert's Pl, Carnaby, London Great place to see

pixiefuncakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 10:20am
post #8 of 21

Oooooh thank you both so much.  Snowflakebunny, I'm a bit vague on names of London bakers, I know Peggy Porchen has a shop and I think Zoe Clark, any others you can think of.

I really appreciate the advice.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 10:30am
post #9 of 21

I'd say the main ones are Peggy Porchen and Zoe Clark (the Cake Parlour), then Choccywoccydoodah as Debcons said, maybe also The Hummingbird Bakery (they have a few coffee shops so best check the website to see which is most convenient).  I would love Mich Turner of The Little Venice Cake Company to open one but so far, no such luck.  She does do courses though if you have the time (and money!) to spend :-)

Not sure if any other UK-ers can think of any others?

HTH x

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 21

I've yet to hear anything good about Choccywoccydoodah!  8-O

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 21

AI've heard mixed things...hence the need to do extensive research (testing) for myself ;-). That said, even if you don't like the style, you have to appreciate the work that does into the window displays...

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 21

AI think Jane Asher has a shop?

Relznik Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 

I've heard mixed things...hence the need to do extensive research (testing) for myself icon_wink.gif. That said, even if you don't like the style, you have to appreciate the work that does into the window displays...

I do appreciate the work that goes into *some* of their stuff.  But in the shop, EVERYTHING is overpriced (ie bars of choc, choc lollies, etc).

My sister's nephew had a cake from CWDD for his Bar Mitzvah - cake was dry.  And it isn't the first time I've heard that...  have heard several people say the same.

Another friend of mine has picked up two cake orders from people who were disgusted with the lack of service offered by them.  You have to pay a non-refundable £400 just to talk to someone about having a wedding cake.  And that's just from their off-the-peg range!  It's £1000 to have an appt to talk about a bespoke cake.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 21

AThat's the same feedback as what I've heard as well. I have always been surprised at how far in advance they seem to be made on the tv show.

£400+ for a consultation!!?? That is one epic deposit! *trying to find a smiley which imply a a suitable level of jaw dropping-ness*. Can I ask if it is common for people to charge for consultations in London? I have yet to meet anyone around my area who charges for a first meeting but have read a lot about it here on CC X

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 21

AMaison Bertaux in Soho. I can't remember the exact address, but its on Greek street, Can't miss it.

pixiefuncakes Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 7:50am
post #16 of 21

Thank you

Croxholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Croxholden Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 8:09am
post #17 of 21

AI visited Squires Kitchen in Farnham, Surry on the way to Gatwick on our last day before flying home to Aus. Bea's of Bloomsbury is worth a visit.

Relznik Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 12:24am
post #18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 

£400+ for a consultation!!?? That is one epic deposit! *trying to find a smiley which imply a a suitable level of jaw dropping-ness*. Can I ask if it is common for people to charge for consultations in London? I have yet to meet anyone around my area who charges for a first meeting but have read a lot about it here on CC X

I suspect it's not uncommon for 'names' to charge for consults - in the same way that Cake Boss does.  It stops time wasters, I guess.

I've heard of a few cake makers who charge about £20 for a consult (that comes off the price of the cake if they go ahead), again, to stop time wasters.

Relznik Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 12:28am
post #19 of 21

Oooh, what about Eric Lanlard's shop?  That's supposed to be lovely (not been myself)

http://www.cake-boy.co.uk/home

Konditor and Cook are worth a look, too....

http://www.konditorandcook.com/about-us/stores

And, again, I've not been, but the cake looks lovely!!

http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/default.aspx

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 11:38am
post #20 of 21

I've also heard that Choccywoccydoodah can produce dry cakes and that cutting them ends up being a complete mess!

pixiefuncakes Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 21

Oh my goodness so many to look at - ah well who needs to see the palace?

I think Choccywoccydoodah is a definite, just for the name alone, it makes me giggle. I've just struggled through making a chocolate cake decorated with chocolates in a QLD heatwave, so my respect of anyone who deals with chocolate is sky high at the moment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%