Covering Cake Board With Fondant- Can It Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By pamalbake Updated 31 Dec 2013 , 10:50pm by -K8memphis

pamalbake Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 4

I covered a cake board with fondant on cake I did a few months ago and had to refrigerate the cake ( cream cheese frosting). When I took the cake out the next day to finish the decorations before delivery, the fondant on the board turned mushy, of course sweating. 

I am in the same situation again, would like to cover the board with fondant but need to add decorations in the morning, before delivery , after it being in the refrig.

Any suggestions?  Will it turn to mush again?

Thank you

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 4

i often put my cakes on 'working' boards where i can keep them fridged with the smallest footprint--then i place them on the decorative bottom boards later--

also i would say that you might be able to make the decorative board way in advance so it can dry out--maybe work in some additional cornstarch to help it stay dry and not turn to mush--

sounds like your fridge might be full of moisture--one of my mine needed to have a heater placed in it to keep it from condensing on the contents--

a coupla ideas for you--

pamalbake Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 4

AThank you. Those are some great ideas. I will do the board ahead of time . I can transfer it in and pipe the border, which would help anyway to cover any mess up. Also , question- I am doing a half sheet cake onto a board and only about 1 in and 2 in on each side will show, so I am going to attempt to cut out fondant under cake board, since that's a lot of fondant to waste . That is if I can get it rolled out to 16 x 20 to cover . Any thoughts on that

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 4

you could roll out strips and miter the corners--but i definitely cut out that middle section myself if i roll out a big slab like that--

or you could roll out a strip and put the seam in the back and just mold it around to the board, stretching & smoothing --

or when you're rolling out a big slab--just tear a hole in the center to allow you more give around the edges and keep rolling --it doesn't have to be all smoothy smooth in the middle -- then just trim it all up nice & neat--

fondant board ideas pour vous

Quote by @%username% on %date%