Small Scale Rbc Vs. Mmf

Decorating By jlcantrell Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 5:04pm by -K8memphis

jlcantrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcantrell Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 1:09am
post #1 of 4

ASo, I've been lurking around trying to figure out what to use to make these small (1/2" x 1" at the biggest) squares around the bottom of each tier of a five tier wedding cake. The tiers are to be covered in white-as-I-can-get smoothed buttercream (Viva method) and the squares are in jewel-tones. No other decorations on the cake. I have read that RBC is terrible for covering a cake but works well for small things. I have only worked with store-bought fondant and want something tastier.

RBC - I have read it is greasy and will probably be shiny. Also that it will not harden - which is no big deal. The squares will be put on the morning of delivery. I have read that some people have successfully replaced some of the confectioner's sugar with corn starch while some have had good results using only half of the shorten called for. I also read that I shouldn't use the Crisco sticks, but the canister instead. When would I add the coloring?

MMF - I have seen many recipes but will most like use Darla's recipe over double boiler. I don't know if I can locate the dough hooks for the old oyster kitchen center mixer I use. Since I plan on separating the MMF in liquid stage to color it, can I use the regular blades until it comes together a bit then knead in the rest of the sugar? I have read that I butter extract added makes it taste like the rolled buttercream. Can I used butter vanilla emulsifier (or what ever it is called that is sitting on my table)?

I have a couple more little questions too. Please forgive me, I am a hobby baker because I worked fulltime and went to school fulltime. This is my first wedding cake and, even though they aren't paying for it, I don't want to screw it up.

I thought with the fact that the decorations are minimal a 2" difference in pan sizes would look better, so I am using 14" thru 6". Five tiers... wow! Location is 2 hours or so from my house. I want to stack the bottom two and the top two to travel. What do you think? Should I use all shortening and no butter in my buttercream so it will be stable. Wedding at 4pm, set up about 2pm, leave house at 11:30am. It will be out awhile but it is supposed to be about 12 degrees outside.

She doesn't care about filling and whatnot. She has given me no taste preferences. I know - she is very easy to please... not picky at all. She doesn't even care what I looks like, but I showed her my thoughts. Anyway, I plan on all cakes being white. My fillings are chocolate buttercream and ganache (from Toba) - cake spritzed with Amaretto; vanilla pastry cream - cake spritzed with orange liqueur; and lemon curd with raspberry jam spread on cake first... in that order from the bottom up. Don't know what to do with the other two tiers. I plan to torte the cake. What are your thoughts.

I thank you all in advance for any input you want to give. Sorry for such a long post but I still feel new at all this cake stuff since I do one every few months. Any other tips would be nice! Oh, cake is for this Saturday and I think I should make RBC or MMF tomorrow or Wednesday so it can meld together. Sorry for the last minute during holidays... I didn't think I would have this many issues.

Thanks, Joanne

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

as far as delivery--think about the weight -- the 14 and 12 will be most heavy--especially with some of those great fillings--i'd leave the 14 and 12 separate unless you have help that you trust to help you carry them and to deliver--they are not impossible to carry--but boxing the cakes is very important to me--makes delivery easier--

i would not use my home mixer much to make fondant--they are usually not strong enough--maybe for just the lightest part of the mixing--but even with the dough hooks i would not subject my home use mixer to that kind of load--

sure you can incorporate the coloring at any time--

i prefer the taste of butter to shortening in my icings so i would not use any shortening if it was me--but to get the whitest buttercream yes shortening is best for that--i talk my brides into slightly off white for the better taste--

you can flavor rolled buttercream with just about any flavoring imaginable--

i would recommend that you test both the fondant and the rbc to see which one you like best--rbc is not often used for this type of application--it can tear and stretch easily--for success you might want to freeze them before applying them--

for a better tasting fondant i often use flavored oil to zip it up 

hope you have a very successful cake!

jlcantrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcantrell Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 4

K8 - Thank you for your reply.  I am so sorry that it took me so long to let you know how much I appreciated your advice.  I did take it to heart.  And it proved to be most valuable!

I took your advice about not stacking.  Delivery was so simple that way.  I was able to carry each tier into the venue by myself and they stacked without a hitch (basically).  They traveled better in the van too.  I just put down my middle seats, laid a rubber-lined blanket in the car (rubber-side up to provide non-slip surface) and put the cakes in.  Of course, I turned the air on the back and the heat on in the front. No sweat!

Since the weather wasn't hot, I took your advice and stuck to the butter in the icing - especially since it calls for half and half.  Worked like a charm and tasted great!

I ended up just going with the fondant.  Mainly because it seemed easier.  I had never made my own MMF before.  My daughter and I stirred it by hand and kneaded in the bowls.  It made for a easy process and the fondant turned out great.  I will never buy the stuff from a store again!  I used the butter emulsion in it and it tasted great - almost like a candy corn.  Of course, I had to make a few extra batches because of coloring issues.  It was easier to mix in in the liquid state. 

So, I must again thank you for your advice!  Here is a picture of the finished product.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

awesome--you're so welcome--glad i could be of help--

kind of art deco meets victorian bling--you did a great job--how nice to have your daughter to help out--mine does too--

brava!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%