First Client Complaining

Business By babcaro Updated 8 Aug 2014 , 11:35am by embersmom

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 5:36pm
post #31 of 47

AAlso I love being able to understand and speak a language when someone has no clue I know what they're saying about me. I have had some choice words for people that they didn't expect!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 6:33pm
post #32 of 47

One thing I always feel should be pointed out in threads like this (of which there are many!) is that sometimes a refund IS due. Whether partial or full. Search your heart, or brain, depending on what you use in your "hobby"- where you sell cakes, or your business. If the thing is wonky, bulging, tipping, messy, the colors are all wrong, the piping is  a mess, your aluminum foil tore in multiple places on your stack O' Pizza boxes "cake drum" then a refund is due. And an evaluation of your skills is also warranted. And I am not referring to the OP, just the many legions who will view these posts and take it to mean the customer is never due a refund.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 6:52pm
post #33 of 47

AI ♡ Annabakescakes.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 9:32pm
post #34 of 47

Now I want pizza AND cake... curse you Anna.

I don't look like I should speak the languages I speak, except English, (which Shanter may or may not agree with.)
I always hope for fun situations because of it, but they never happen, sigh.

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 9:55pm
post #35 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

I ♡ Annabakescakes.

Why, thank you. It had to be said. I ♡ you, too.

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 10:01pm
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Now I want pizza AND cake... curse you Anna.

I don't look like I should speak the languages I speak, except English, (which Shanter may or may not agree with.)
I always hope for fun situations because of it, but they never happen, sigh.

We are making pizza tonight, I ♡ my gluten free crust so much, I am thinking of selling them. What languages do you speak? Maybe we can think of some places for you to go and a fun situation will arise because of it ;-)

I used to speak fluent Spanish, when I was a little girl, and will still dream in Spanish sometimes. I lived in Southern AZ when I was little and played with all Mexican kids, and went to their homes, and their mothers spoke Spanish to me and I spoke it back, but I can't remember anything Dora hasn't blasted into my head in 3's. I would love to learn again.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm
post #37 of 47

Conversational Hebrew, meaning I can speak and understand it, but can't read or write. Just enough French to survive in Paris for 2 years, and some now-shoddy Hungarian, haha.

You should definitely sell your pizza crust! I have a friend with celiac, and she can't bake to save her life, she's always whining about missing pizza and hamburgers.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 12:07am
post #38 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

One thing I always feel should be pointed out in threads like this (of which there are many!) is that sometimes a refund IS due. Whether partial or full. Search your heart, or brain, depending on what you use in your "hobby"- where you sell cakes, or your business. If the thing is wonky, bulging, tipping, messy, the colors are all wrong, the piping is  a mess, your aluminum foil tore in multiple places on your stack O' Pizza boxes "cake drum" then a refund is due. And an evaluation of your skills is also warranted. And I am not referring to the OP, just the many legions who will view these posts and take it to mean the customer is never due a refund.

Absolutely true. Also, may I suggest a ban on the suggestion of offering a discount on a future order if the customer actually deserves a refund? If I got something bad delivered the last thing I'd want would be to order from that person again.

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:16am
post #39 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Quote:

Absolutely true. Also, may I suggest a ban on the suggestion of offering a discount on a future order if the customer actually deserves a refund? If I got something bad delivered the last thing I'd want would be to order from that person again.

Oh yeah, no kidding! I will use that as a bonus though. I FORGOT about a cake and was making a different cake for the next day when the mom showed up to get it. I quickly decorated it and delivered it for her, right size, wrong flavor. I gave her a full refund, but she refused it, but then I gave her 25% off a future order. She accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Conversational Hebrew, meaning I can speak and understand it, but can't read or write. Just enough French to survive in Paris for 2 years, and some now-shoddy Hungarian, haha.

You should definitely sell your pizza crust! I have a friend with celiac, and she can't bake to save her life, she's always whining about missing pizza and hamburgers.

Hamburger onna bun... droool!

i am lost on the scenario where you can use those languages in a fun situation, lol.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:05am
post #40 of 47

AMost memorable use was at an airport hotel restaurant where the waiter was muttering about my kid being at the table, he was saying I should have left her at home, I told him I left his tip at home instead.

I also had quite a lot of fun at the job where I was the only one who understood both of the two non-English languages spoken in the office. I gave myself away by giggling at someone's joke one day though.

babcaro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babcaro Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 8:10pm
post #41 of 47

yes i agree that if the cake isnt what they ordered or its just not good a refund should be due but I know the cake was good and I buy my cake drums and the way they started to complain about color when it was what they ordered  but Its good to have a good group here =) 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 10:27pm
post #42 of 47

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I once had a group of customers at a delivery standing in front of me and speaking in a different language (that I did speak but they didn't know that I understood them) talking about how much they could get for a refund if they complained. I stood there with the contract while they tried to tell me everything about it was wrong, even though it was right there on the contract. After they talked about how to get money back and kept saying "she won't take the cake back" in the other language for a while I got tired of listening to them and I took out my checkbook, wrote them a check for the refund, took the cake and drove right to the Ronald McDonald house to donate it. They were surprised that I actually took the cake back, but I hope they enjoyed their supermarket sheet cakes that they kept telling me would have been better than the four-tiered cake that I'd made for their event.

The only thing I wish I had done differently would have been to tell them goodbye in their language when I drove away with the cake.

I love that story. And it proves to people who just can't believe that people do these things, that they definitely do. Being a history buff, I have learned to expect some heinous things. People who do this stuff run circles around innocent minded people. Used to be one myself

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 10:30pm
post #43 of 47

AInnocent, not heinous. Considering some of my posts, I figured some might need clarification.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 10:53pm
post #44 of 47

Quote:

that cracked me up! I did that "expel air quickly from the lungs and mouth, while lips flap" thing. Is there a name for that?

When I do that, my fiancé always asks if I just deflated

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 11:32pm
post #45 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenng1482 

Quote:

that cracked me up! I did that "expel air quickly from the lungs and mouth, while lips flap" thing. Is there a name for that?

When I do that, my fiancé always asks if I just deflated

Yes, that's it, exactly!

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 8:31am
post #46 of 47

This thread reminds me - I must get some more of my girlfriends stories from her to tell you.  She runs a cake decorating shop - and everytime I see her she has another tale to tell.  So watch this space.  Kx

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 11:35am
post #47 of 47

One of my coworkers had the gall (IMO) about how I didn't "exactly" follow a deco design for her granddaughter's cake last weekend.  This coworker isn't a decorator but she does have an artsy-crafty background, but she still doesn't "get" the fact that those Deco-Pac cards/pages are airbrushed examples, not real cake, and there are variables depending on what kind of icing you use on it.

I wouldn't be so upset about a clueless customer, but this is a coworker who's been here for more than a couple of years :bangs head on desk repeatedly:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%