Piping Gel Vs Egg White Vs Edible Glue -- Which One??

Decorating By h0mesweeth0me Updated 27 May 2014 , 4:41pm by Penny B

h0mesweeth0me Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:45am
post #1 of 10

I've been making cakes for about a year and i have done various projects from fondant, making figures/flowers with gum paste, and working with modelling chocolate.  One thing i am still really confused about it when to use which adhesive?  When should i be sticking things together with piping gel or egg white or edible glue or royal icing or even white chocolate. is there a rule of thumb on this one?

9 replies
leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:49am
post #2 of 10

AYou should never use raw egg white. You really shouldn't eat raw eggs yourself and you don't sell raw egg product to unsuspecting customers.

h0mesweeth0me Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

AReally? Even if it's from a pasteurized egg? Or even the tiny amounts needed to glue figures together? I thought it was recommended in so many cake decorating books. What would you suggest instead?

Smckinney07 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 10

AI've seen people use egg whites on flowers. Generally, I think it's a bad idea to use raw eggs around anything edible-I instruct customers to remove flowers, to save or discard-but it's still something that touches the cake.

For flowers I use glue to assemble and steam for color.

I use royal, chocolate & sometimes even BC between tiers whatever is handy. Sometimes I'll use BC to fill in gaps if I need a clean finish, to avoid borders if theres a gap, then clean with a paintbrush.

I guess for attaching things to your cake, like petals or heavy objects royal is probably best. I've used chocolate before.

I don't use piping gel often, wafer paper is the only thing I really use it with.

I've never gone by any rules, some things just work better then others.

tomsann Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

I've always used edible glue....I'm sure other things work too but I like gum arabic and water...

Takes awhile for the gum arabic it disolve but it always works....

h0mesweeth0me Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 10

AFair enough. Edible glue is a stable alternative to egg whites. Anyone know why some people choose piping gel? It doesn't seem as sticky enough at all... But it is transparent.

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 10

I do what Smckinney07 does.  Edible glue / RI / chocolate for heavy things;  piping gel for wafer paper.

I suppose you could use pasteurized egg white, but it's very expensive and you only need a little bit.  Gum glue is cheaper.

h0mesweeth0me Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 10

ALeah-s. Those sound like good guidelines to work with. Thanks so much!

Penny B Posted 27 May 2014 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I've seen people use egg whites on flowers. Generally, I think it's a bad idea to use raw eggs around anything edible-I instruct customers to remove flowers, to save or discard-but it's still something that touches the cake.

For flowers I use glue to assemble and steam for color.

I use royal, chocolate & sometimes even BC between tiers whatever is handy. Sometimes I'll use BC to fill in gaps if I need a clean finish, to avoid borders if theres a gap, then clean with a paintbrush.

I guess for attaching things to your cake, like petals or heavy objects royal is probably best. I've used chocolate before.

I don't use piping gel often, wafer paper is the only thing I really use it with.

I've never gone by any rules, some things just work better then others.

This is probably a stupid question but I am fairly new to cake decorating.  What does BC mean?

Penny B Posted 27 May 2014 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 10

What do people use powdered egg white for? Another stupid question I am sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%