Irritating Newbies

Lounge By Stitches Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 6:16pm by SystemMod1

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 77

Maybe it's just me (because I'm sick right now and not supper happy) but anyone else get as irritated as I do on threads where we all help out some new person and they don't even come back and say "thank-you" or respond to a question someone asked them? It seems like it's constantly happening.......

It's beginning to frost my butt!

76 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 77

AIt's not just you!

It's especially irritating when I find myself giving some really helpful and honest advice-that I would have welcomed starting out-and I'm accused of being mean or harsh!

It's ridiculous. If you can't handle hearing strangers opinions you have no business trying to start one.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 4:28am
post #3 of 77

AOh darlings - you are preaching to the choir!!!!

Where are all these entitled gits coming from?

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:00am
post #4 of 77

A:-D not all of us are ungrateful :D. I wonder if they have been bought up without manners which seem to be so sadly lacking these days.

:D[I][/I][quote name="ammcats" url="/t/758288/a-big-thank-you-from-a-newbie#post_7392993"]I would just like to say that I lurked here for a longtime before joining a couple of months ago. I must have read nearly every single post in every single forum! Lol. My son has asked me to make his wedding cake at the end of the year so thought I had best learn. I would like to say I have learnt soooo much here that I feel like a pro lol, totally in my head of course! Anyway, as a practice run I made a white cake, filled it with lemon and passionfruit curd, covered it in white chocolate ganache, covered it in home made marshmallow fondant, decorated it with a mix of fondex and regalice fondants, then froze it! Lol, we'll a girl has gotta try everything right? Well, I took it out of the freezer, refrigerated it for 24 hours, set it on the bench for 5 hours, put a gumpaste rose on ( had bought myself Nicholas Lodges sugar rose class), unwrapped the plastic wrap, boxed it up. Then my mum picked it up from my house, Wellington, New Zealand, jumped on a plane and flew to Sydney , Australia with it to give to my niece for her graduation! That accounts for the colours as they were her Masters Silk colours for her digress, would never normally do that! Just got an email from her stating it was amazing. Tasted fantastic, lovely and moist, colours were perfect (total surprise). So THANK YOU every single one of you for your unknown help and blind support. I now have the courage to go ahead and make more cakes and practice heaps before the wedding in November. [IMG][IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3004962/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/quote]

ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:05am
post #5 of 77

ABy the way, I did spend many more months lurking and practising and gleaning all the help I could by researching :) and this was the result in November. [ATTACHMENT=1419]image.jpg (1,222k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:29am
post #6 of 77

ammcats, the wedding cake is fabulous! Good for you!

There are lots of people who post on CC without ever trying to find the answer themselves (searching, reading threads, googling). They may have brains but evidently do not know how to use them.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:55am
post #7 of 77

AI'm a little disappointed, I thought this thread would be a how-to.

:madhatter:

Godot Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 7:18am
post #8 of 77

AWhat? You mean like a step-by-step photo tutorial or a clip on youtube?

*snark*

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:03am
post #9 of 77

Thank You Ms. Stitches for posting online.

post #10 of 77

mb from Alaska

post #11 of 77

mb from Alaska

MBalaska Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:04am
post #12 of 77

mb from Alaska

MBalaska Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:04am
post #13 of 77

mb from Alaska

Godot Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:18am
post #14 of 77

AOh hey look, MB- the server liked your post so much it posted several times!

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:07am
post #15 of 77

AIt doesn't annoy me as much as people PMing me asking how I did a specific cake,, me spending time describing step by step (what can I say, I'm pathologically helpful) and then never getting a response. As my dear Nanna used to say, you are never too busy to say thank you.

MBalaska Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 10:09am
post #16 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Oh hey look, MB- the server liked your post so much it posted several times!

that's funny......... Don't know why it posted it so many times, I just wanted Stitches to know that she is appreciated.  I guess the computer joined in.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I'm a little disappointed, I thought this thread would be a how-to.

madhatter.gif

:lol: too funny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and ammcats--how did you make that lace? i'm very curious--it is outstanding--that must be a lovely mold?

your work is impeccable--nearly flawless--

roses & petals silk?

wow

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 77

AAmmcats your a natural, it turned out beautifully!

It looks like one of the versions of sugarveil, candy something is that right? I love the white one white (or ivory).

ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 77

A~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and ammcats--how did you make that lace? i'm very curious--it is outstanding--that must be a lovely mold?

your work is impeccable--nearly flawless--

roses & petals silk?

wow [/quote]

The roses are gumpaste, petals on the table are silk. The mold is from crystalcandy.co.za along with their crystal lace - very easy to use, but took along time to dry. I would pop it in the mold in the evening and release it in the morning. They have beautiful laces to choose from but are expensive too, like sugarveil.

ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 77

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

Ammcats your a natural, it turned out beautifully!

It looks like one of the versions of sugarveil, candy something is that right? I love the white one white (or ivory).

Thanks smckinney07 . It is actually tinted ivory fondant and painted ivory lustre on the lace. Great fun but not in a hurry to repeat. I enjoyed every minute of this as it was a challenge for my sons wedding, but unfortunately I don't have the passion to want to do it again, and again, and again....... I admire those of you who do, there is some incredibly talented decorators/bakers out there and I could spend too many hours admiring all their hard work.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 77

so ammcats--wow just wow--

you did yourself proud--crazy beautiful--

many multiplied congratulations to you--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is the mold--

http://crystalcandy.co.za/wedding_cake_decorations/wedding_cake_lace_moulds.html

ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 77

AHow very interesting that they now plug sugarveil on that site. Would have thought they'd push their own product right to the forefront, not until you look into the site do you even see crystal lace.

Stitches Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 10:44pm
post #23 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I'm a little disappointed, I thought this thread would be a how-to.

madhatter.gif

HA!

I'm sure many newbies here would say we do a good job irritating them!!!!!!!! Jason you do have the irritating answer to the pricing questions down pat! It gives me a chuckle every time I read it.

MB.......are you sure you didn't multiple post deliberately.....? I thought you were teaching me a lesson.

MBalaska Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:04pm
post #24 of 77

it's my intermittent internet.........it sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

I probably clicked the 'submit' button 6 times  before it accepted my post.

It would be a loss for me, and probably thousands like me, to lose your posts because of thoughtless people without the good graces to send their thanks. 

This website has been invaluable to me.  I thank you again.

mb

Stitches Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

it's my intermittent internet.........it sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

I probably clicked the 'submit' button 6 times  before it accepted my post.

It would be a loss for me, and probably thousands like me, to lose your posts because of thoughtless people without the good graces to send their thanks.

This website has been invaluable to me.  I thank you again.

mb

.... I'm also grateful for all that I learn here .... that's why I visit.

OO's

scott312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott312 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:15am
post #26 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

Maybe it's just me

They may not like you.

MBalaska Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:28am
post #27 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammcats 

By the way, I did spend many more months lurking and practising and gleaning all the help I could by researching icon_smile.gif and this was the result in November.  

ammcats: this cake is so beautiful, simply elegant.  If this is what lurking, practicing, and gleaning on CC.com has done for you..........EXCELLENT RESULTS.  Bravo.

There are so many people to thank for their contributions.  Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

mb

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:29am
post #28 of 77

(Troll alert...)

Stitches Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:51am
post #29 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

(Troll alert...)

Yes, they seem to be going from thread to thread trying to stir the pot......

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 3:48pm
post #30 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

There are lots of people who post on CC without ever trying to find the answer themselves (searching, reading threads, googling). They may have brains but evidently do not know how to use them.

I don't think I've ever had to ask a question. Not that I've been here long. But seriously, every time I don't know how to do something, or have a question about anything, all I have to do is Google the topic plus Cake Central and all the threads show up right away.

The answers are ALL here! And it takes much longer to start a topic than to do a simple Google search. I always wonder why people don't do a search first. Or go to YouTube. 

That said, this website is a godsend. If I'd found it 3 years ago I'm not sure that I would've spent all that money in school lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%