Should I Buy An Agbay

Decorating By NetworkZombie Updated 5 Jul 2014 , 3:17pm by avrotier

NetworkZombie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NetworkZombie Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 31

AHi everyone,

So I recently brought a cake leveler with 3 blades, and it's terrible. Even when it's been tightened, the blade flexes! When I saw through and ends up horribly wonky. I am after something decent and very reliable. I have read many reviews on how it's worth it's weight in gold etc .. Does the Agbay maintain its position when tightened? Could you share your experiences with it?

30 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetworkZombie 

Does the Agbay maintain its position when tightened? Could you share your experiences with it?

It's AMAZING! The best cake leveler you could dream of. There's no comparing it to the other junk on the market. Worth every penny!!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 31

I LOVE my agbay, but I have the large one and as a hobbyist if the smaller one had been available at the time I purchased, I would've gotten it...it's much better suited to the size cakes I make.

...and if these were available, I would've tried them first:

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 31

AI don't personally have one but would love to own one!! I know some people who do and trust me it's in a league of its own.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 31

Love my Agbay.  Nice level cakes in seconds!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 31

YES!

:D

Suzanne x

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 31

Quote:

Hi everyone,

So I recently brought a cake leveler with 3 blades, and it's terrible. Even when it's been tightened, the blade flexes! When I saw through and ends up horribly wonky. I am after something decent and very reliable. I have read many reviews on how it's worth it's weight in gold etc .. Does the Agbay maintain its position when tightened? Could you share your experiences with it?

Hobby baker chiming in.  I waited 2-1/2 years to buy my Agbay (deluxe single blade) because it was "so expensive".  In that 2-1/2 years I probably spent $800 on cake decorating fru-fru (i.e., "isn't that cool!  must have it! ....) when I COULD HAVE HAD MY AGBAY!!!!!!  stupid....stupid.....stupid......

The next time(s) you get the urge to buy a cake tool or tutorial or video or exotic ingredient, DON'T.   Write yourself a check for the same amount and save 'em up until you reach the Agbay price + shipping--then buy it. 

You will thank me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 31

Yes!  The Agbay is the gold standard in cake levelers.  There's nothing that compares to it.  Ask your family to group together for one present to you - the Agbay.  You will never regret buying the best tools.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 31

yes, yes, yes, buy it.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 31

Yes, and the blade is more like a heavy duty saw blade - there is no flexing or bending going on.  You will love it.  I have the smaller single blade one, because I only do smaller cakes.  It is great!

Liz

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 31

I live in Ireland and had a 3 week holiday in Florida in June/July and while I was there I ordered an agbay plus spare blades to arrive at my holiday rental.I had previously read reviews etc about the wonders of the agbay  and believe me they are all true.I got my agbay at a great price because I ordered while in America and had no shipping or mark up from a retailer.  So yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss get yourself one. You wont regret it

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 31

It is worth every penny...do yourself a favor and just order it.  You won't be sorry that you did.  Just be careful...it is really sharp!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 31

My must haves:  Agbay, Kitchenaid, good pans.  

I have the larger single blade Agbay.  I am not a high volume baker and not pressed for time, so the single blade is just fine.  I am happy with the larger one, because it takes care of those occasional big cakes too, but is perfectly fine for smaller cakes.  Extremely precise and reliable, inflexible, scary sharp, cuts just about anything, even partly frozen layers. One of the few things I would replace immediately if lost, broken or stolen, although honestly, it will probably last forever.  i don't believe I have ever seen a post where someone was sorry they bought an Agbay!

NetworkZombie Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 31

ASuch great responses! I tend to do 7" 8" and 9" cakes. What would be best suited to my needs? I've noticed they have started selling them in Australia, where I am from.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 31

Nothing else even comes close to and Agbay, nothing.  I have gone about 6 years and really did not want to part with that much money for it. Let me tell you I was stupid, stupid, stupid.  It was my smartest day when I ordered it and it was one of most joyous ones when I got it and used it the next day. Only one thing, Use Caution as the blades are Really sharp. Store it in the box if you don't use it a lot. Saves your had being cut up if you were to reach into a cabinet and accidentally hit it.

yortma Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:56pm
post #16 of 31

I would recommend the 20".  It works just fine on smaller cakes, but will also be there for you if and when that occasional larger cake comes along.  I am a hobby baker and usually make smaller cakes, but am so happy I got the larger size.  i have also never wished i got the double blade.  I just cut twice with the single.  It is so easy to adjust that it is not a problem.  Unless you are using the exact same settings over and over again, in which case the double may a bit of a time saver.  

NetworkZombie Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 31

AThanks for the advice CakeGrandma! I'm going to bite the bullet, and order one tomorrow!

NetworkZombie Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 31

ADoes it have to be adjusted one or both sides?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 11:21pm
post #19 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

Nothing else even comes close to and Agbay, nothing.  I have gone about 6 years and really did not want to part with that much money for it. Let me tell you I was stupid, stupid, stupid.  It was my smartest day when I ordered it and it was one of most joyous ones when I got it and used it the next day. Only one thing, Use Caution as the blades are Really sharp. Store it in the box if you don't use it a lot. Saves your had being cut up if you were to reach into a cabinet and accidentally hit it.

The blade guards should ALWAYS be in place unless you are actually slicing........ anything else is just plain STUPID!!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 12:10am
post #20 of 31

AMy dear sweet husband surprised me with my Agbay for my birthday gift....absolutely best gift I've ever received!!! Both sides need to be adjusted...takes but a few seconds to do..

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 12:27am
post #21 of 31

Ahttp://www.agbayproducts.com

Happy Baking :grin:

yortma Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:11am
post #22 of 31

I found this inexpensive pine coat rack and use it to hang my Agbay above the door inside my pantry.  That way it doesn't take up valuable cupboard space, and is also  out of reach.  I don't have little ones in the house anymore, but I still feel much better having it well out of the way.  

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:48am
post #23 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

The blade guards should ALWAYS be in place unless you are actually slicing........ anything else is just plain STUPID!!

Yeah, it really hurts when you cut the tips of all of the fingers on one hand open with it. Ask me how I know, haha!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:52am
post #24 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 

I found this inexpensive pine coat rack and use it to hang my Agbay above the door inside my pantry.  That way it doesn't take up valuable cupboard space, and is also  out of reach.  I don't have little ones in the house anymore, but I still feel much better having it well out of the way.  

Great idea!

Liz

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 11:46am
post #25 of 31

Maybe I'm weird but I get really excited when I get to use my Agbay.  I even cut cupcakes up with it the other week just so I could use it.  Straightest cupcakes you have ever seen.  (I'm a hobby baker who obviously spends too much on cake toys cos I bought the large double blade and I wouldn't swap it for anything).

NetworkZombie Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 11:48am
post #26 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Maybe I'm weird but I get really excited when I get to use my Agbay.  I even cut cupcakes up with it the other week just so I could use it.  Straightest cupcakes you have ever seen.  (I'm a hobby baker who obviously spends too much on cake toys cos I bought the large double blade and I wouldn't swap it for anything).

I am going to invest in the large single blade tomorrow :) Also just brought all the Planet cake books! I'm in love!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:57pm
post #27 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

ApplegumPam,

Of course the blade guards should be on when not using. I forget things since getting out of the hospital after spending 3 grueling weeks in there as well as 2 emergency surgeries.  Sorry

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 4:02pm
post #28 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

ApplegumPam,

Of course the blade guards should be on when not using. I forget things since getting out of the hospital after spending 3 grueling weeks in there as well as 2 emergency surgeries.  Sorry

But I sliced myself when I was actually slicing, so the blade guard had to be off then! It's super sharp, regardless.

sbonham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbonham Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 4:29am
post #29 of 31

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing and asking these questions. I am a home baker. This summer I bought a cake leveler and had the same experience you did. Now I know what the solution is - buy an Agbay. 

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 31

What a great idea yortma, I'm stealing your way of storage. Mine is on a shelving unit in the basement and I'm always worried about it getting pushed off. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%