How To: Check Out This Slicer

Decorating By Stitches Updated 9 Jan 2014 , 1:49am by cakechemist

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

I found this while surfing........pretty interesting actually. Have you seen this before? I hadn't.

http://frieling.com/product/layer-cake-slicer

9 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:58am
post #2 of 10

I saw it on Amazon, but have the Agbay.  Most reviews were positive, just a couple negatives.

Liz

Boyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boyka Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 8:54am
post #3 of 10

AI found this at local TjMaxx for around $10. I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll shere my experience.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyka 

I found this at local TjMaxx for around $10. I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll shere my experience.

For real? Ha....

I have an agbay and would never buy this, but it was so weird/different it blew my mind.

I hope you do share your experience......can't wait to hear about it!

betija Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betija Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 10

I have it but i never use it because it's only for 26 and 28 cm cakes !

Knife is realy sharp and it is great , and the cake lifter is awsome too !

Would recomend it only for the knife and lifter :)

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 10

AI too found it at TJ maxx, did come with the knife or cake lifter! :( Haven't tried it yet. @Boyka, did yours come with the knife & lifter?

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 10

AOops, meant "did NOT" come with knife and lifter!

Boyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boyka Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 10

AMine was just the ring too

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 10

AI bought it a couple of years ago. The ring is useless due to size/height limitations, the lifter is flimsy. The best the about it is the knife - long, serrated, thin blade.

cakechemist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechemist Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 1:49am
post #10 of 10

AI got one of these a few months ago, I also thought it was the answer to my torting troubles. The slicing guides only go half way around the ring, so you have to turn the cake after cutting half way through. If you didn't get the knife with it, you will need a very long bread knife or you won't stay within the guide in the middle of the cake.

The first time I tried this with a 6" coconut cream pound cake, 3" tall. The cake was very dense and had crusty edges, so it was easy to handle and manipulate. I was able to torte the cake into 4x 1/2" layers with the dome leftover. In the end i made a 12 layer (6 cake layers, 6 BC layers) cake that was fantastic. A more delicate cake (mix or sponge) would have fallen apart using this device. I would recommend using it only if you have a very durable cake that can be handled extensively. I've only seen the agbay used in videos, but I think it would be the only way to get these thin layers with a "regular" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%