I Think I Found Disco Dust On A Cookie.

Baking By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 29 Dec 2013 , 7:29am by hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

Not entirely sure it's disco dust, but it looks too sparkly to be anything I'd want to put in my mouth.

Neighbor down the street gave me a plate of baked goods for Christmas. Planning on reciprocating sometime before Epiphany (remember: think liturgically, not commercially, because liturgically speaking, it's still Christmas until Epiphany). In general, the ones I tasted weren't bad, but neither were they as good as what I bake. One of them appears to be some sort of frosted shortbread, with what appears to be the dreaded disco dust atop the frosting.

Is there an easy way to tell whether it's disco dust, or something that's actually edible? Maybe scrape off a bit, and see if it dissolves in water?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 10

eat it and file a report from the bathroom :lol:

yes dissolve in water is a less circuitous way to determine dd more friendly to the internal plumbing

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 10

And assuming the neighbor in question isn't herself on Cake Central, and that she hasn't seen this thread, and already recognized my name on it, what's the most tactful way to point out that disco dust, while "non toxic," hardly qualifies as "good eats"?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 10

the most tactful way is to say nothing--

if you do say anything wait till later in the year and bring it up like an omg have you heard about this--who knew? but don't specifically mention her christmas offering--she might bring it up--but tread carefully--

the most important thing of course is that she gave a nice gift and all--not that you didn't know that of course--

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, and I try to avoid looking gift equines in the masticatory orifice.

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:30am
post #6 of 10

AIt's so hard especially when it's all over Pinterest and unless you take the time to see where the cookies come from (usually a blog that was a set up photo shoot) people assume its edible. Every time one pops up in my feed on pinterest I make a point to leave a comment with the pic which unless someone deletes it stays with the pic as it gets passed around

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:45am
post #7 of 10

AEarlier today, I did a Google search on disco dust. Found a tutorial on putting it on cookies. With a note from the original author, explaining that in the years since she'd first posted the tutorial, she'd found out that (not her words) disco dust is not "good eats."

-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 10

i mean when it first came out it said."not edible" so i never got into it myself--

reading labels is important!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 6:51am
post #9 of 10

AHmm. Somebody recently mentioned silver dragees on another disco dust thread, and wow, speak of the devil, and you hear his horns: I just now noticed that at least two cookies on the plate were decorated in the little once-considered-edible ball bearings.

On a more favorable note, there was at least one specimen of a chocolate mint confection that, I'm told, was quite good, evidently comparable in quality to what I baked this year. (I'll take that individual's word on that: I loathe mint almost as much as I loathe chocolate, and I need to remember to have a note put into my chart at the dentist's office: on future cleanings, any flavor of abrasive except the new chocolate mint.)

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 7:29am
post #10 of 10

AOn another note, another, more distant, neighbor gave us a plate of baked goods today, including some excellent pressed cookies decorated with red and green sugar (vanilla spritz, I believe)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%