Fondant Icing

Decorating By Icycupcake294 Updated 26 Dec 2013 , 1:56am by CindiM

Icycupcake294 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icycupcake294 Posted 25 Dec 2013 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 2

AWhat's the best way to dye fondant icing??? And then how do you roll it out without staining the work tops :-D:(

1 reply
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 1:56am
post #2 of 2

Welcome to cake central, Icy.

I color the fondant by adding liquid, gel or powdered food coloring.  Try all 3 and find out which you prefer.

I use a silicone mat to mix my colored fondant on and roll it out, or you can buy a piece of clear plastic upholstery fabric in a fabric department for a few dollars, which will work the same way to protect your work top.  You may have to tape it down or put some of the shelf liner (I call it gripper) under it, to keep it from moving around.

I had to make burgundy fondant, yesterday.  I always start with a tiny amount of white fondant to see what the color looks like when mixed with white.  So I started with my white fondant and kneaded a ton of wine color dust in it.  Then I added some Satin Ice Red fondant, that I had on hand, and it came out perfect.

I add powdered sugar, if it gets sticky or a tiny amount of shortening it is too dry.   You can wear plastic gloves or put a tiny amount of shortening on your hands to help keep from turning pink, or blue etc.!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%