Sculpting With Cake Spackle?

Decorating By yumkat Updated 24 Dec 2013 , 6:59am by yumkat

yumkat Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!      :cake:

I'm wondering is someone has tried to make a sculpted cake mainly with cake spackle? let's say like a giant cake pop? I'm willing to achieve a bust...wouldn't have to be massive but big enough to impress I guess...I doubt about my carving skills to achieve something fine and delicate. Could I just use firm cake spackle ans cover it with fondant and/or modeling chocolate? I'm bit worried about support too, as I wouldn't like the head to fall off!! 8-O 

Do you fellow cakers think that I should carve roughly anyway, to try and get a sturdier base to finish with the spackle? What would be the result if I use RKT under instead of a carved cake? would it work?

Thank you for your advice and help!

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

i use cake or rkt for sculptures--i have never used cake spackle for what it is intended for--just never used it--but it is not sturdy enough to only use for a sizeable sculpture imo--

honestly--the sculpting itself is not where the fine details come in--the sculpting is just a very good firm base--then the decorating brings in the detail--that's how i do it anyhow--

i would not recommend using just spackle--no--nothing to hold things together--

yumkat Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your answer K8memphis! You're confirming what I was thinking...specially because the finished cake would have to travel a bit soooo...:ouch:

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 6

you just want to make a big cake pop? or a bust --you mean ahead and shoulders?

whachu wanna make?

yumkat Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 6:58am
post #5 of 6

I would like to make the Avatar movie lady ;-) (Neytiri) My guess is that I probably aim too high but hey, I want to practise so may as well get out of the ribbon and brush embroidery zone!

yumkat Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 6:59am
post #6 of 6

...and I don't want to use dummies hehehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%