How To Coat Wired Armatures For Cake Toppers

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 22 Dec 2013 , 2:53pm by -K8memphis

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 2

I've been making armatures for some models for a gym cake. They will be stuck into a dummy top tier and won't be edible. I have a girl made with florist wire and alfoil and I've begun covering her with a mixture of fondant and modelling chocolate. Seems to be working OK, although I'm not sure that the coating will harden very much. 

My major concern is a piece of gym equipment that I have begun to build from varying combinations of florist wire, sate sticks, strips of Chux Wipes and florist tape. I am concerned that coating it in modelling chocolate or gum paste will thicken the parts too much and the latter would dry too quickly, making it pretty messy. I'm wondering if it can be dipped into melted Candy Melts and, if so, how can i  paint it? Parts need to be grey, black and metallic silver. Alternately, can i paint the armature with melted Candy Melts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

.AppleMark

AppleMark

AppleMark

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 2

i might be too late but--i think you should use candy clay also called modeling chocolate--you can color it first--i think it's paintable also--then you can roll it thin or apply it in little blobs even and smooth it out on your armature and just the heat of your fingers will meld it all seamless---it will also be susceptible to high temperatures--but for all but direct summer sunlight it should be fine--

there are any number of recipes and even you tube videos for making candy clay--

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%