Trouble With White Chocolate Ganache

Baking By candmarie Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 3:56pm by MissJoyous

candmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 21

Hello, this is my first time posting on this site so bare with me! Lol! Ok, so I need a no fail recipe for white chocolate ganache STAT! I've tried two so far. This is for a wedding cake, which has two cake dummies at the the bottom and a 6 inch real cake at the top (see photo). They wanted dummies because the cake is just for decoration and they wanted to use it for the wedding and reception, so I made a cake for the top that they served the wedding party at the wedding and now I need to make another one for the top for the reception (the reception was planned in a different location, a week after the ceremony). Anyways, I tried two recipes for the white chocolate ganache. One, I found on here that called for 1.3 cups of white chocolate chip and 1 cup of heavy cream, and the other one from Martha Stewart. The Martha Stewart one called for 8 oz. of good quality white chocolate and 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream. The problem? Neither one set up! I waited, I refrigerated and nothing! Luckily, I was able to whip the Martha Stewart ganache and still use it, but it was very light and made my fondant crack. I made it work, but this time I want a recipe that comes out like regular chocolate ganache, you know, fudgy! Please help! Where did I go wrong? And can someone give me a chocolate to cream ratio that will set up like the regular            chocolate ganache? Any input is much appreciated, thank you! :(

20 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 21

I'll share what works for me, but let me warn you, it's not fancy or high-end.

12oz. bag of Nestle white chocolate morsels (which measures out to 2 cups of chips) + 1/2 cup of cream...

It sets up to a peanut butter consistency.

I typically make a double batch for a cake project...I'm a hobbyist, I don't do huge wedding cakes.

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 21

Thank you! I have already bought some good quality white chocolate, so I kinda want to use it. I tried a batch with white chocolate chips and It was quite runny. Then when I tried to whip it, it turned all curdly. Gross! Lol! But thank you! Maybe I will try this one next time before I spend a bunch of money on good quality chocolate! :-D

FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 21

I understand...

The same ratio will work though...

It's a 3 to 1 for white chocolate...so 12oz choc. to 4oz (1/2c) of cream...

Maybe you want to weigh it, to be more precise.

What kind of white choc. are you using...just curious?

FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 21

By the way...

If this is the recipe you tried: http://cakecentral.com/a/perfect-white-chocolate-ganache-frosting-perfected

It's not 1.3 cups of white chocolate chips...

it's

1. 3 cups of white chocoate chips

2. 1 cup of heavy cream

3. pinch of salt

Very confusing the way it's printed.

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 21

Baker's premium white chocolate. It comes in 4oz bars. 

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 21

Omg! So it's 3 cups of white chocolate? How did I miss that? Lol! I thought it said 1.3 cups! I thought, 1.3? What? Lol! Feeling dumb! :?

FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 21

LOL...it's not your fault...the way it's printed makes it EASY to misread....

Also, I've made my ganache recipe using Bakers before...same amounts I posted...it worked fine, just slightly yellower in color...

I've also tried the Guittard white chips...YUM...those were the best so far because they were less sweet.

I would stick with them actually, but I can't find them locally...

I bought 3 bags on-line once and w/ shipping I think it was 21 bucks or so...crazy, but I really wanted to try them.

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 21

Oh Golly, yeah that's pricey! I live in a remote area. All we really have here is a Walmart, unless you want to drive two hours to another store! That's why I've stuck with the baker's. But, it's pretty expensive too! Almost $3 for only four ounces! Do you know how many ounces are in a bag of the Guittard white chips?

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 21

Your cakes are amazing by the way! Great work! 

https://www.facebook.com/Candicescustomcakes

FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 21

The Guittard's is 12oz also...

Here's where I purchased them: http://www.groovycandies.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=102374&idcategory=671

I'm not in a remote area, but the white ones are still really hard to find for some reason...

Other people have complained about it in their areas too.

...and thank you so much...your cakes are wonderful too!!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 21

I like the Guittard as well.  I found that if I order a 25lb bag (of vanilla apeels) from Bakers C&C that even with the shipping it costs me about $3.30/lb.  A 25lb bag fits perfectly in one of those larger plastic storage containers that you can get in the scrapbooking section at Michaels or JoAnnes.  Love the taste of Guittards.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 21

How does the white chocolate ganache taste?  Is it really sweet?  Thank you.

candmarie Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmcmahan 

I like the Guittard as well.  I found that if I order a 25lb bag (of vanilla apeels) from Bakers C&C that even with the shipping it costs me about $3.30/lb.  A 25lb bag fits perfectly in one of those larger plastic storage containers that you can get in the scrapbooking section at Michaels or JoAnnes.  Love the taste of Guittards.

Wow! That is a much better value than $3 for 4 ounces! I'll look into it! Thank you guys! 

@Kathy107 - The ganache is pretty sweet and quite rich! I just made a batch out of the baker's chocolate, and it is so so good! It also set up perfectly! 

Thank you @FlourPots for the ratios, it worked out perfectly this time. I will be trying out the Guittard next time! :-D

FlourPots Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 21
You're welcome, candmarie...I'm so glad it worked for you!

If you're interested...here's 2 really great threads (one has pics) about flavoring white ch. ganache...adding different oils and icing fruits, etc.

candmarie Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 21

Thank you! I will check those out! And I wanted to let you know, I found the Guittard white chocolate chips at my local walmart! Cant wait to try another batch of ganache with them. 

FlourPots Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 21

You did!!
Alright!

I'm going to definitely check mine...maybe now they're carrying them!  They only had the semi-sweet, milk and I think mint chips when I looked last...awhile ago...and the smaller supermarkets I normally shop for food at still aren't carrying them, I know that, but maybe Wal-Mart is now...Oh I hope so!

Thanks very much!

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 21

AYes it's a ratio of 3:1 for white chocolate ganache.

FlourPots Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 4:11pm
post #19 of 21

Well my stupid Wal-Mart does NOT carry the Guittard whites :-t...in fact, they didn't have any Guittard's at all!

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 1:18pm
post #20 of 21

AHopefully this link works but if you do a search for how to ganache a cake inspiredbymichelle.com.au comes up I thought she was very helpfull, not that you don't know how to ganache the cake but she really shows what the ganache should look like and works from the ratios 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream for white chocolate ganache I liked her ganache videos (it's 3 parts)

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 21

This might be a silly question ~ but are the white chips that sometimes say "vanilla" white chocolate?

I think it was the Guittard's brand, but not entirely sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%