New Baker, Help With Non-Slip Surface For Cookies.

Baking By GreenTurtle Updated 17 Dec 2013 , 2:27am by GreenTurtle

GreenTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GreenTurtle Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!  This is my first post and I am a new baker. I will be baking decorated cookies with my nieces this week (I have them all week) and I was wondering if there is a surface mat like a silpat that will keep cookies in place/non-slip and keep them still while we decorate. I tried the silpat yesterday and they're still moving around a little. For some reason I thought the rubber on silpat might keep them still, but silpats are of course primarily a non-stick surface, so not sure what I was thinking (I'm new :))  Would like to keep the cookies still so they don't move when we take our decorating bags and spatulas to them.  I can keep them on the pan that they baked in, but we are planning to bake all the shapes first, then the next day, just decorate them all (remember, I have them for one week and I'm trying to make the fun last all week ;) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 6

hi and welcome--

y'know the nubbly shelf liner we like to put down to put our glasses on in the cupboard? 

that works well and you can wash it off after--

i usually use this under a cake that's sitting on a cake board but if it's clean it won't hurt the cookies and they will not slip--

like this  http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/shelf-liners/page/1?sort_by=5

but you can get a roll for a few bucks--even grocery stores carry it of course

GreenTurtle Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much K8, I have lurked for so long here and enjoy your posts tremendously.  I will get a roll of these today and try them.  Can't wait! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 6

oh thank you gt 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTurtle 

"......I will be baking decorated cookies with my nieces this week (I have them all week) and I was wondering if there is a surface mat like a silpat that will keep cookies in place/non-slip and keep them still while we decorate. ....."

I often use a regular sized silicone hot pad (trivet).

but most grocery stores do sell that non-slip shelf liner fairly inexpensively that K8 talks about. It probably does work a lot better than my hot pad.

GreenTurtle Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 2:27am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your comment MB, I have enjoyed your posts as well xo

I will look into a silicone trivet for myself.  Love learning about tools.  I will try the shelf liners and post again :) 

Thank you all sincerely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%