Steam And Royal Icing

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 15 Dec 2013 , 8:05pm by -K8memphis

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 5

I have a buttercream cake that has a fondant border and royal icing stenciling that is painted with a luster dust. Will steaming the fondant to get the powdered sugar off and make it shiny hurt the royal icing?

I would only be steaming for a few seconds all the way around the cake, but I am afraid that the water will break down the royal or cause the luster paint to run.  Has anyone tried it?

TIA!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 5

you can't steam if before you stencil it? 

i've never done this--on one hand i think like you do it will run my work--eeghads!

on the other if done lightly--it might really set it off--if the paint was super dry--i had some not dry for a couple days recently--

all that to say--make a bit of this in advance and test it --and tell me how it went please--unless someone smart knows the answer in the meantime--

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 5

luster paint never ran on flowers that i steamed...it might work

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks memphisk8.

I had already completed the cake and was getting ready to take pictures when I decided that steam might make the ribbon look better.

I decided to give it a try, starting at the back of the cake. It didn't hurt the royal icing or the painted on luster, but I didn't let the steam hit the cake for long. In fact, I didn't really get the fondant to shine up like it normally does. I probably needed to let the steam hit it longer but I was afraid to.

Next time I will either steam before stenciling or practice on some parchment first.

Thanks for your input.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

murfreesboroIkern--you are very brave

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%