Fondant Changed Color

Baking By sofiasmami Updated 16 Dec 2013 , 3:54pm by rexygirl

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

AI colored fondant icing to decorate cookies using Wilton coloring. I made the cookies last week and when I pulled them out this week the fondant had changed to blue!??? I don't know what happened ....can anyone give me some insight into what could have gone wrong?

6 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

I assume you were using a lavender/purple color.  The red dye in color does not hold it like the older red (that was banned).  When you are coloring your fondant use some pink to help keep the purple turning blue. I did a lavender display cake in September - It is still lavender.  I also keep it out of direct sunlight.

Hoped this helped some :)

sofiasmami Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 7

AYou got it! It's lavender .....ugh! I hate mishaps!!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

I learned this the hard way.  My information comes from various CC threads so I'm passing along what I learned here :)

sofiasmami Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

AI had a lady approach me at michaels because she just recently started decorating and wanted to know what things were essential to buy. She's taking the classes at michaels. I told her I learned the basics at Michael's with their classes. but then told her about this site because this is where you really learn anything you need to know ....right?! Lol

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 7

Yep that happens to me too, with the Wilton colors especially.  I used some Cornflower blue for a baptism cake I did recently, and some of the decorations had faded to a baby blue (they started off kind of a gray-ish blue).

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3138706/a/3424814/made-for-a-friends-baby-cake-is-a-10-vanilla-with-lemon-curd-filling/

The letters were pressed out a few days ahead of time, but the flowers had been done like the day before.  The letters faded while the flowers were darker.

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 7

AI had the same thing happen with a friends baby shower cake. It was a tough color to match to begin with it was a kinda mushroom mauvey color and kept getting purpely the next day I must have lightened it five times before I got it right....... Then to make matters worse I figured out on day 3 that the lighting in my kitchen and the lighting in my work room were totally different and affecting what I saw on top of it changing every day. I almost went crazy:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%