Tier Wedding Cake - Assembly And Transportation

Decorating By DeniseBr Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 6:24am by kakeladi

DeniseBr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseBr Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 5:49am
post #1 of 2

I am doing my first 3 tier (14, 10, 6 inch - round) wedding cake for my niece.  I have been making cakes for several years but nothing as critical as a wedding.  So I need some advice.

Please keep in mind this is not a business for me and will most likely be a one time event.  So looking for best options on a skinny budget as any investment for multi-use would be wasted.

Support -

I've used wooden dowel rods in the past but saw posts on SPS and Bubble tea fat straws.  I hate cutting wooden rods and thinking the bubble tea fat straws are a good option.  Advice?

What separator base/board should I use?

Transporting - I have about 30 mile drive.  I could assemble at a friends house closer but would be less comfortable than doing at my own home.

Do I travel with the cake fully assembled? 

Storage - We are doing a white champagne cake with a BC/cream cheese icing and raspberry filling.  Do I need to keep it refrigerated?  How long can I safely have it out?

I'm searching boards for links on any and all of the above just to make sure I do this right!!!  Can you tell I'm a little anxious?!   So if you have any references handy you can share to make this a beautiful cake for my niece, I would sure appreciate it!!!

OMG....what have I gotten myself into?!  ;-)

Here is a picture of the cake she wants me to make...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/3d/6b/bb3d6b95201beb48ab79bc80bbedbef0.jpg

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 6:24am
post #2 of 2

..... hate cutting wooden rods and thinking the bubble tea fat straws are a good option.  Advice?..........

They are an excellent choice:)  You will only need 7 in the largest tier and3 or 4 in the center one.

......What separator base/board should I use?.........

You can stack 3 or 4 cake circles together - glue them together  OR you can use a masonite board anything that is at least 1" thick.  Can also use any cake separator plate.

.............Do I travel with the cake fully assembled? ........

If you are a **VERY!** careful driver :)  The cake is stacked (rather than pillared) and has good sizing (vs one that would be say 12,10,8 - which would make it stall and UNsteady) so it should ride w/o any (or very few) problems.  I have deliver 100s about that size even farther w/o problems.  Being a careful driver does not mean you must drive 10 MPH:)  But do watch no one cuts you off that you need to slam on the brakes, rear-ends you or you hit potholes :)

......... white champagne cake with a BC/cream cheese icing and raspberry filling.  Do I need to keep it refrigerated?  How long can I safely have it out?.......

It will depend on the CrCh B'cream recipe you choose.  Earlene Moore has a great one that is room temp stable.   Do a google search on her name - it's on her site.  Otherwise you are limited to only 4 hours and that includes the time you spend decorating the cake.  One suggestion is to make the top 6" tier only 3" tall.  I really would look better than 4" tall.  I know that is hard to understand but it's an optical illusion.

You don't say when you will be doing this.  It's a beautiful cake and doesn't look very hard to accomplish.  I'm sure you will do a great job on it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%