Bite Size Mini-Cheesecakes!

Baking By YGoodies Updated 27 Dec 2013 , 12:24am by YGoodies

YGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YGoodies Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 27

Hi All,

I just want to know a fair price for a dozen of bite size mini-cheesecake would cost? Everything is made from scratch. I'm giving people the option to choose from different toppings, cheesecakes, and crust.

Toppings:  Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Kiwi, Oreo's, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cream Cheese Whip, Nuts (Variety), etc..

Cheesecake: Plain, Red Velvet, Banana, Pumpkin, Key Lime, Chocolate at the moment.

Crust: Graham Crackers (GF optional), Oreo's, Chocolate Chip Cookies, for the moment.

This is my first time doing this, and I've already passed out some samples and I already have a few people interested in buying. I've already gotten my food handlers card, so I got that out of the way.

Here are samples of what I will be selling.

Thanks,

Rhenjay

26 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YGoodies Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 27

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the size of the cheesecake minis are 1 1/4".

YGoodies Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 27

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 12:47am
post #5 of 27

I wouldn't turn my oven on for 1 dozen of anything.  You need a minimum order of 3 or 4 dozen to make this profitable, no matter what price you settle on.  If your pricing is too cheap, you'll get people wanting 1 dozen consisting of this: 2 gluten free, 1 of those with nuts, 1 with strawberries, 3 oreo, 2 banana with raspberries, etc., etc, etc.  And that just isn't a good thing.

Liz

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 1:22am
post #6 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I wouldn't turn my oven on for 1 dozen of anything.  You need a minimum order of 3 or 4 dozen to make this profitable, no matter what price you settle on.  If your pricing is too cheap, you'll get people wanting 1 dozen consisting of this: 2 gluten free, 1 of those with nuts, 1 with strawberries, 3 oreo, 2 banana with raspberries, etc., etc, etc.  And that just isn't a good thing.

Liz

What she said.

YGoodies Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 27

How about if I make it a 2 dozens minimum? Also I am charging an extra .25c for non-stantard crust per cake and non standard cheesecake flavors. I've been getting request for a minimum of 2 dozens with a whole pie. Is $16 good for a original flavor for a 9" cake? 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 27

Is that for a cheesecake with cream cheese? It would help if you gave us the amount of ingredients in the 9" cake.

YGoodies Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 27

3 - Philadelphia Cream Cheese

1- Cup Sugar

3 - Eggs

3 - Tbsp Flour

1 - Tsp Salt

1 - Tsp Vanilla

1 - Cup Our Cream

YGoodies Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 27

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

* $16 FOR REGULAR 9" CHEESECAKE W/WHIP.
* $18 FOR REGULAR W/TOPPINGS  AND FLAVORED 9"  CHEESECAKES .
* $10 PER DOZEN FOR MINI-CHEESECAKES (PRICE SUBJECT TO CHANGE).
* MINIMUM  OF 2 DOZENS PER ORDER FOR MINI'S.
* .15C EXTRA PER CAKE  FOR NONE-STANDARD CRUST AND TOPPINGS (MINI'S ).
* .10C EXTRA PER  CAKE  FOR CHOCOLATE OR CARAMEL DRIZZLE (MINI'S)

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 27

a 6" cheesecake in my neighborhood goes for 20 bucks cash & carry and you are about 1/3 to like 20% of the following prices

one link is 18 minis for about 60 bucks and the other is an 8" cheesecake over $40

link  >>>>
http://www.qvc.com/Best-of-Juniors-Sampler.product.M105274.html?refType=IOFFER&refNumber=M22737&sc=M105274-DTLR&cm_sp=UPSELL-_-IOFFER-_-2&relType=IOFFER&refLocation=2

link >>>> http://www.qvc.com/Juniors-(18)-Holiday-Mini-Cheesecake-Assortment-Search-Results.product.M42202.html?sc=M42202-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-M42202&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/m/02/m42202.001?$uslarge$

this one gets a good review and it's $45 for an 8" two pound cheesecake

link >>>> http://www.hsn.com/products/davids-cookies-8-new-york-style-cheesecake/7316749?query=7316749&isSuggested=True&

i would recommend re-evaluating your prices and consider eliminating the fifteen cents here and the ten cents there--consider using  more rounded pricing without haivng to stop and do all the math-- a gourmet price and a classic price or something like that--if you get this rolling the nickel & dime thing will begin  to annoy you and  it's confusing imo--

you are extremely low on the pricing

(i boldened this post to make it easier to read and the long links i edited into a small font)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by YGoodies 

1- Cup Sugar

3 - Eggs

3 - Tbsp Flour

1 - Tsp Salt

1 - Tsp Vanilla

1 - Cup Our Cream

You've got $10 worth of ingredients listed there, at grocery store pricing.  How much is your packaging?  $16 won't really even cover your hard expenses, before figuring labor or profit.  Seek out posts from Jason Kraft regarding pricing before proceeding.

Liz

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 27

you offer gluten free? are you sure it is gluten free? it's quite involved to do gf especially when some people's health is at stake--your gf should be pricier due to the extra work involved--

i would reduce the variety and concentrate on volume of a few great cheesecakes that cost enough to make it worth your while and that support the industry--

YGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 27

Yes, I do offer gluten free crust and g/f cheesecake. I buy the Gluten Free Graham crackers crumbs and G/F Flour from Sprouts and the packaging that I use are quite reasonable from my local restaurant supply store. Most of the ingredients that I use for the cheesecake is usually stocked in my house already and the only thing that I usually need to purchase is the crust and fruits. I just need a good starting price until I get myself more established.

Here's what I came up with over the weekend so far:

* $18 FOR REGULAR 8" CHEESECAKE W/WHIP.        

* $20 FOR REGULAR W/TOPPINGS  AND FLAVORED 8" CHEESECAKES .        
* $12 PER DOZEN FOR MINI-CHEESECAKES (PRICE SUBJECT TO CHANGE).        
* MINIMUM OF 2 DOZENS PER ORDER FOR MINI'S.        
* .25C EXTRA PER CAKE  FOR NONE-STANDARD CRUST (MINI'S ).        
* .25C EXTRA FOR NONE FRUIT TOPPINGS(MINI'S)

Thank You.

YGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 27

* $18 FOR REGULAR 8" CHEESECAKE W/ WHIP.
* $20 FOR REGULAR  8" CHEESE CAKE W/ 1 FRUIT TOPPING.
* $23 FOR FLAVORED 8" CHEESECAKE W/ WHIP.
* $25 FOR FLAVORED 8" CHEESECAKE W/ 1 TOPPING.
* $30 FOR FLAVORED 8" CHEESECAKE  W/ MULTIPLE TOPPINGS.
* $2 EXTRA FOR NON- STANDARD CRUST FOR 8" CHEESECAKE.
* $12 PER DOZEN FOR MINI-CHEESECAKES (PRICE SUBJECT TO CHANGE).
* MINIMUM OF 2 DOZENS PER ORDER FOR MINI'S.
* .25C EXTRA PER CAKE  FOR NONE-STANDARD CRUST (MINI'S ).
* .25C EXTRA FOR NONE FRUIT TOPPINGS(MINI'S)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 27

AWhat is whip?

Will you please refrain from writing everything in majuscules? It's hard to read.

It sounds like you're just throwing prices out there instead of doing your homework and costing out your ingredients/formulae.

My cheesecakes (12-16 portions) start with two pounds of cream cheese.

MimiFix Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 27

If you're purchasing ingredients at retail prices you're not making much money. You need to calculate the cost of your ingredients before pricing your products.

Are your cheesecakes 8" or 9"?

Kate has some good suggestions, especially eliminating the ten and fifteen cent variations. But all you did with that idea was raise it to twenty five cent variations. Seriously, you need to do some calculations instead of making minor adjustments when someone gives you feedback. If you do the math now and understand about pricing, your business will be headed in a better direction.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 27
yeah like a 9" vanilla cheesecake costs $30 with super crust $35 -- 24 minis are  $35 or whatever--give out the prices--you're handing out math lessons--

don't price one dozen minis when you've got a two dozen minimum--give a price for 2 dozen minis--

and your prices are going to lead to discouragement and burn out--i can smell the smoke from here--

you don't seem to be listening i'm not sure why i'm responding again--oh mimi got me going again--

but i do wish you the best of luck-- i hope you do great

MimiFix Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 10:33pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

you don't seem to be listening i'm not sure why i'm responding again--

I'm still chuckling, Kate. Sometimes you are incredibly perceptive, direct, and funny. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 10:53pm
post #20 of 27

you getting a chuckle might be the only good outcome in this thread--and i'll take it! 

thank you, mimi

YGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 27

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will recalculate my cost in a few days and just put the prices for the 2 dozen and for each type of cake and also minimize my options. I'll just get to the point with the price Also, is not that I'm not listening to everyone's suggestion, I'm just nervous and afraid of discouraging people from buying from me if I charged to high. I am new to this and I enjoy cooking and baking, this is something that I always dreamed of doing and I just would like to do this right.

My usual cost for a plain 9" vanilla cheesecake w/ blueberries:

Prep time - 10m

Cream Cheese - 3.68

Blueberry Topping - 3.50

Eggs - .75

Vanilla - .10

Sour Cream - .75

Sugar - 1 Cup - .50

Crust - 2.50

Bake time - 50M

=$11.78 

Cost for the fruits individually roughly:

Blueberry - 3.5

Raspberry - 3

Blackberry - 3

Strawberry 3.5

What should I charge for a 8' pie and for a 24 mini's? What would you guys charge if you were to start off?

Again, thank you everyone for the feedback.

YGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 11:11pm
post #22 of 27

I'll accept any criticism from anyone, good or bad. It's the only way I can learn from what it is I am trying to accomplish. I'll take what you ladies have suggested and will take my time to get this right rather trying to rush things.

Thank you ladies..

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 11:27pm
post #23 of 27

What about your travel time to the store to purchase the items?  Gasoline for car?  Materials for cleanup?  Time for cleanup?  How much do you want to pay yourself per hour?  Overhead (utilities such as water and electricity, insurance, licensing, etc).  Mathematically speaking, I cannot see how any of these are included in your pricing.  

Once you figure EVERYTHING into your pricing, establish a minimum order.  I do not turn my oven on for anything less than a $100 minimum order.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 11:30pm
post #24 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Quote:

1- Cup Sugar

3 - Eggs

3 - Tbsp Flour

1 - Tsp Salt

1 - Tsp Vanilla

1 - Cup Our Cream

You've got $10 worth of ingredients listed there, at grocery store pricing.  How much is your packaging?  $16 won't really even cover your hard expenses, before figuring labor or profit.  Seek out posts from Jason Kraft regarding pricing before proceeding.

Liz

How I do envy you folks, for being smart enough to live in low cost states.

The cream cheese alone would be about $9.00 in my town.  cost is entirely relevant.

mb

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 12:15am
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will recalculate my cost in a few days and just put the prices for the 2 dozen and for each type of cake and also minimize my options. I'll just get to the point with the price Also, is not that I'm not listening to everyone's suggestion, I'm just nervous and afraid of discouraging people from buying from me if I charged to high. I am new to this and I enjoy cooking and baking, this is something that I always dreamed of doing and I just would like to do this right.

do your best to get over this--put it in a box with a tight lid and only get it out when you wanna seriously freak yourself out--it's part of the cost of doing business some peeps will be discouraged to order from you because of prices--it's ok--

you have to charge enough starting out--part of starting out is separating the clients from the well wishers --nothing slices 'em up like prices--if you start low you garner the wrong set of clients--later when you wake up to this crucial mistake you realize how your entire investment thus far has been in the wrong direction and you have to start over weary and worn down--

you gotta add your over head like electricity and paper towels and time to shop and take orders and deliver and wash dishes and pay for the extra hot water--one of the most expensive utilities we use--plus gas in the car--all that --

i'm rootin' for yah

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 12:23am
post #26 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

How I do envy you folks, for being smart enough to live in low cost states.

The cream cheese alone would be about $9.00 in my town.  cost is entirely relevant.

mb

dang, mb, maybe something like this but probably these ingredients are that expensive too plus you got the extra work--wowzers

http://shesimmers.com/2010/12/how-to-make-cream-cheese-at-home.html#lightbox/2/

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+cream+cheese&rlz=1C1SAVU_enUS541US541&oq=hoe+to+make+cream+cheese&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.11731j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

YGoodies Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 12:24am
post #27 of 27

AI will definitely take a look at Jason Krafts post and will take my time to get this right. I'm definitely not paying myself enough for my product and not even factoring my time and ingredient cost. I'm over here being a good neighbor and not thinking like a business person.

Sorry Ladies for not taking your suggestions, but i do appreciate your help, Kate and Mimi specially..

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%