How Do I Make A Price List?

Decorating By fatimarateb5 Updated 12 Dec 2013 , 7:10am by Smckinney07

fatimarateb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fatimarateb5 Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 6:17am
post #1 of 3

hi, im at a at home baker, I've been attracting pretty good business because the holidays. im having some trouble on how to give out prices that are fair for myself and the customers. I want to be able to make my money back on my ingredients and for my time. so can I get some help on some basic items please?

French macaroons

cookies by the dozen

cupcakes by the dozen

pies

cake pops

brownies- a tray of 12 large

dipped apples

flavored popcorn

thank you guys so much!!!

2 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 6:26am
post #2 of 3

ASearch the site. There are, quite literally, thousands of threads on how to price baked goods (and, more importantly, how NOT to underprice).

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 7:10am
post #3 of 3

AYou also need to contact your local health department, get certified, inspected, insured, etc.

Check out Jason's website, it's all about pricing/marketing...there are several links about pricing!

We don't know your recipes and how much your ingredients cost so no one can say chargethis much for a dozen cake pops :)

There are many expenses people overlook when pricing their items. You will be using more electricity and water, ingredients for each flavor of every item, cupcake wrappers, cakepop sticks/wrappers/ribbon, cake boards, dowels, boxes, fondant (if your making or buying), etc.

Then there are consultations, shopping, prep, ordering supplies, finding the best vendors, design, inventory, clean-up...I could go on and on but all these things need to be factored into your pricing plus whatever hourly rate you want to get.

Believe me, it's much better to do the extra work now to get your prices where they should be rather then realizing six months from now that you aren't making any money! Then you'll have to find a brand new customer base when you need to up your pricing.

Good luck! Be sure to check with the health department first to make sure you are allowed to sell from home, some states require a separate kitchen with its own entry, there are usually animal restrictions even restrictions on what items you're allowed to sell and some have a cap on the amount of sales you can generate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%