How To Attach A Sculpted Figure To The Side Of A Rock Climbing Wall Cake?

Decorating By FrostedMoon Updated 15 Dec 2013 , 7:17pm by FrostedMoon

FrostedMoon Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a rock climbing wall cake that will be 4 layers of cake/frosting, then an SPS system, then a cake board with another 4 layers on top, all covered with buttercream to look like a rock climbing wall. There will be small lumps of colored fondant attached all around as foot holds. The client wants a sculpted figure climbing the side of the wall, with one hand just reaching the top.

For perspective, the cake is going to be made in 8" square pans and I plan for it to be at least 8" tall. I will be using an 8" round SPS plate with a square cake board on top. The client will be driving about an hour with the cake. I hope to come up with a way to have the client attach the figure to the cake once she gets to the party location. initially I was thinking of making a wire loop part of the hand and then have a dowel going down from the top of the cake, but I think it might need to be too close to the edge of the cake and will tear right through. Any ideas?

Also, I was thinking of trimming an inch or two off one side of the square to make it more of a rectangle shape. If I trim it to be 8" by 6", trim the cake board to also be 8" by 6", and use a round 6" SPS plate, will that be enough support? Remember, this needs to be transported by a client. That ALWAYS makes me nervous!

2 replies
cakesrock Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 3

Hmmm.. if I was travelling, I'd put the figure on upon arrival, but in this case, you can't do that. I would build the figure onto lollipop sticks so you can anchor him to the cake that way (one coming out of the ankle and one out of the wrist) if that makes sense and I'm envisioning this right.(?) I have used lollipop sticks a lot for these types of things and they work really well. I'm sure you can incorporate them somehow. Even if it's partially stuck through the middle of the figure and the rest is in the cake (noone will see that because figure is against mountain). Wire doens't seem strong enough- esp for travel. Good luck!

FrostedMoon Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply!  I did end up using wire as a support for the whole body, with long wires coming out of the feet and arms.  I placed little plastic straws in the cake where it went, and the wire fit snuggly in side.  I packed it separately from the cake and showed the customer how to put it in place.  I think it worked well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%