Unable To Deliver Wedding Cake

Decorating By nurjen Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 7:33pm by carmijok

nurjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nurjen Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 10:27am
post #1 of 17

This past weekend in Texas we have had one of the worst ice storms in Texas history.  I worked 6 days straight on a wedding and grooms cake and then when it was time to deliver it last Saturday we attempted to drive the 60 mile trip to deliver and could not even make it 2 miles.  It was horrible!!! I called and had to talk to the bride's father and he was so nasty to me. He told me that he was moving to plan B and looking for cupcakes and because of me he was going to devastate his little girl before she walked down the isle.  But of course he made no effort to come get the cake, because the main highway from my house to the church was shut down.  I was in tears just staring at this poor girl's cakes that I couldn't deliver.  I even had friends attempt in 4x4 vehicles to take me and they could not make it to my house.  I can definitely say I am done with wedding cakes after this catastrophe.  Anyone else ever been in my shoes???

16 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 10:44am
post #2 of 17

AThat's a terrible situation! There are some things that are just out of our control.

Had they paid already? I don't want this to sound mean, I'm just curious, but how would he come get the cakes from you if you couldn't get to him? I only ask because you mentioned he made no effort to get to you.

Ive never been in a situation like this. I do have a clause in my contract stating if some unforseeable accident occurs (car crash, earthquake, etc.) I cannot be held liable. Although, depending on the circumstances, if I can't deliver something I've promised I would give a refund of some sort.

nurjen Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 11:57am
post #3 of 17

AI had received $100 deposit and asked for $500. So I guess I will just give her back the $100. Basically the Dad acted like we should find some way to get there, but he knew the highway was shut down. I think he was just stressed and I was the one he took it out on for ruining his daughter's day.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 17

I would imagine she meant if the father didn't think the weather was an issue, then he should try to get to her to pick it up...and he can't make the drive either.  I live in Minnesota and while we are use to such awful driving conditions, ice is ice...and no 4 wheel drive truck or anything else can drive on it.  It's not worth risking your life to deliver a cake, wedding or not.  Did the wedding even go on as planned, or were they not in the affected area of Texas?  Now you are also stuck with 2 I assume big cakes that were ready for delivery?  Wow, let us know what happened...I feel so bad for you and the bride, you can't control Mother Nature sad as it is...:-(

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 17

AWhat an awful situatio. It's a risk you tske when you plan a winter wedding, unfortunately.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 17

i mean her guest count had to be shattered too--the cake not arriving would take a big back seat to a sparsely attended wedding--

i think it is very wise of you to realize that dear old dad put your face on the nornal stress of his daughter's wedding complicated by a rare ice storm and kicked you around--he was bigtime wrong and i'm sorry you had to go through that--of course you were devastated in the first place--then his verbal assault-- wrong on wrong

maybe try and take a step back from making the decision to not do cakes anymore--i mean seriously how many ice storms does texas get? what are the chances that your beautiful cake gets iced out in texas in early december--surely this could never happen again--so on the bright side you should be clear going forward? ;) 

i'm really sorry this happened i'd be shattered too--take a deep breath and move it on as you can--maybe something could still work out...

(((big warm ice-melting hug)))

nurjen Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 17

A[ATTACHMENT=1405]20131207_110704.jpg (1,739k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 17

Wow, that is a beautiful cake!!! Sorry that you and the bride had to go through that. You can not control Mother Nature and it is not your fault!!! I guess during the winter and snow season it would be wise never to do wedding cakes. Hang in there and keep the faith!!!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 17

ACake was gorgeous!

Truly, I would chalk this up to the stressful situation. He needed time to pass the stages of grief. I'm certain he'll come to his senses.

Sometimes, there really are circumstances beyond control.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 17

I made a wedding cake and groom's cake and tried to deliver it once and no one was there.  The bride had sent me a fax (who sends faxes?) to advise me of the changed reception date.  So I'm standing there with two finished cakes and no wedding.  The Salvation Army soup kitchen had fancy cake that day.

I did have a winter wedding a few years ago and we made it - slowly and carefully and terrified to the reception hall.  I'm sure very few guests made it.  

I'd go on and refund her payment.

Bottom line is, "stuff" happens.  You plan for as much as you can, but you can't foresee everything.  I always say "If I could control the weather, I'd buy lottery tickets."

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 12:30am
post #11 of 17

AThe cake turned out beautifully. I hope you didn't take offense to my question. I hope you don't quit what your doing because of this, your work is very good! Weddings can be much more stressful, but there's nothing you could have done.

I wonder if the guests managed to attend. I'm so sorry

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 1:51am
post #12 of 17

AI doubt most of their vendors made it, and he's probably feeling terrible about the way he spoke to you now.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 2:31am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurjen 

I had received $100 deposit and asked for $500. 

Nice cake! I love those flowers. Was the wedding cake $500 or did that include the groom's cake, also? 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 2:49am
post #14 of 17

That cake is beautiful!!  Don't you dare stop making wedding cakes.  This was an act of nature that no one could foresee or control.  The father was definitely stressed over the weather and the fact that most of the guests were probably not going to be at the wedding.  He should not have taken it out on you, so just refund the money and don't worry.  I am sure her father meant no harm.

Winter weddings and outdoor weddings are just difficult to pull off sometimes.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 3:09am
post #15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Nice cake! I love those flowers. Was the wedding cake $500 or did that include the groom's cake, also?

Wondering this myself. I REALLY hope you didn't spend 6 whole days working on 2 cakes, one with all those flowers and bows, and were only planning on getting $500. Nice bows, BTW!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 3:13am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurjen  I can definitely say I am done with wedding cakes after this catastrophe. 

I'm pretty sure the OP already knows that no one can control the weather, how many ice storms they normally have where she lives and she even said herself she knows the father was venting at her because he was so stressed.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 17

AYou do know you can keep those flowers don't you? They are very pretty and will be so handy to have when you need roses again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%