List Of Required Items

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 8 Dec 2013 , 11:45pm by MBalaska

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 13

I am in baking/pastry school. Our issued kits are not very complete...classmates are asking me for a list of items they should get. Here is what I recommended fondant tools, a rolling mat, couplers, tips and bags, bake even strips and flower nails, foam pads for flower forming, a turntable, and one of those fondant cutters with 3 wheels and an exacto knife.. Anything I missed? They don't want to spend money on unnecessary crap like many of us do when we first start out (I definitely did!!) Advice is appreciated...

12 replies
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 13

BTW...I don't mean they need this for school. But many of us get together for practice sessions or practice at home and I am coaching on beginner fondant, another coaches on fruit carving, another guy is great with cookies. It's really fun.

MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 13

off set spatulas, Yellow 'Oops' Sticks,  and a whole lot of patience. :grin:

Best regards,

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 13

We did get offset spatulas in our kit. What are yellow oops sticks? I may need those! lol is what we got in our kits specific to baking. Rubber spatula. 2 offset spatulas, 1 straight spatula, measuring cups and spoons, bench scraper, 16" piping bag with 3 HUGE tips!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 13

interesting question--just an aside here--but for the high cost of some of the tuition they charge--you'd think they could provide with a better list and kit--anyhow--i get crabby about culinary school tuition--stay crabby i mean ---

i think your list looks pretty good in general--

but i mean i hate couplers myself and don't use some of the other items--so my point is that i think everyone needs to get used to decorating and make those individual decisions for themselves--

i'm no help huh -- sorry --but i mean if your aim is to save money idk--i'll shut up

i mean i can hardly function without parchment for piping bags--

here-- i thought of something helpful perhaps--maybe list what is in the kit so we know how you are being equipped in the first place--

quitting while i'm ahead-- :-D

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 13

uggghhh..I hope they teach us to use parchment for piping. I have not had much success with it. I edited previous post to include what they gave us. I did tell them not to go out and buy the most expensive products. They just want to know what they may need for our practice sessions or to practice at home. Oh we also got the flat knife...

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 13

now maybe you can get a small refund on tuition 'cause they don't have to teach you! :lol:

yeah fat chance--wishful thinking--

but you can make your triangle any size -- just practice making cones with any kind a paper--

best of the best to you

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 13

I will try it. Tried much better to have someone show you in person

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 13

stop by anytime and we'll have a go at it ;)

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 13

lol..where do you live? put on a pot of coffee

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 13

memphis  ten oh c  :lol:  coffee's on!

jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 13

AA collapsible rolling cart might help.

MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 13

oops stick  AKA:  " Two-in-one decorating tool "  had to look it up.  either that or toothpicks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%