Boxes For Cookie Gifts

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 17 Jan 2015 , 3:01pm by Party Time

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 1:30am
post #1 of 68

AWhat size boxes do you guys use when you're giving cookie gifts? There's about eight different kinds and they aren't really big (no more than 4 inches). It's a combo of cut outs, sandwich cookies, and bar cookies. I'm just going to pile them in the box; I'm not getting really scientific about it. Each box will need to hold about 2 dozen.

67 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 1:50am
post #2 of 68

Hi Annie! Do you have any sample boxes to fill and see what they look like? Maybe start with a 7" square? I've found that boxes are so much easier than trays. It actually doesn't matter what size box as long as there's enough tissue wrap to fill in the gaps.  

and cookie boxes filled then tied.line up your boxes 

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 2:44am
post #3 of 68

AMimi, thanks for the idea and for sharing those great pictures! I don't have any samples but I was thinking about a 7" square as well. I might order some samples to try them out. I bought some fom Hobby Lobby today and they sucked so badly...flimsy and cheap and half were falling part. Shoulda known better!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:06am
post #4 of 68

Mimi's adorable boxes....Love em!!!

my booring Alaska Style bags.   'Food Saver' Seal a Meal in a bag, tie a ribbon on top, snow and bear proof.  those boxes are a million times prettier.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:21am
post #5 of 68

AHi Annie! These are what I am using for a sampler box for an event next week. It is the 8 x 8 x 2.5 inch pie box from BRP. I will have a dozen of a variety of bars and cookies, each in their own grease proof liner/cup.

Liz

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3151309/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of 68

oh my no no no no no--way too easy--i went the so called 'scientific' box picking route and while  i did permanently fry several vital brain cells in the process i did get perfect boxes for my wares--i have pictures on the other computer and i just can't move right now--will post them in the morning...

gold window boxes no less--i can fit six muffin papers in each box and each muffin liner held one star shaped caramel sandwich cookie, two  pecan linzer cookies filled with southern comfort tea jelly,  and then a small snowflake cookie on top i think--and then setting on top of those were two giant snowflake cookies that peeked through the window on top--something like that--

they all fit like a glove in there so i guess it was a good trade off for a slightly smoked head --

:-D

liz at sugar Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #7 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

my booring Alaska Style bags.   'Food Saver' Seal a Meal in a bag, tie a ribbon on top, snow and bear proof.  those boxes are a million times prettier.

Well, you've got it figured out if your cookies have to be bear proof!

Have a great night!

Liz

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #8 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

snow and bear proof very pretty too!!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 68

see if i can find those box pictures

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

oh yeah i had a few red metallic ones too--and greaseproof red tissue separating the giant snowlfakes from the cookie filled cupcake wrappers underneath--

because you can get any kind of muffin liners for any holiday--paired with the gold boxes --you can use them all year

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

then there's the star caramel sandwich and the red rimmed linzer topped with a mini snowflake--so anyway there's my boxes

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Hi Annie! These are what I am using for a sampler box for an event next week. It is the 8 x 8 x 2.5 inch pie box from BRP. I will have a dozen of a variety of bars and cookies, each in their own grease proof liner/cup.

Liz

these are really classy, liz

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 68

ALiz those are really pretty.

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 68

AThanks everyone for sharing your ideas and pictures. Liz, are you just doing one layer of cookies in your sample box? I was actually looking at that chocolate brown color. I think it goes with most colors and it's really pretty.

liz at sugar Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 68

Thanks everyone!  Yes, I am just doing one layer - a variety of sizes, two in one cup of the smaller ones, laid out in a 3 x 3 grid, with the fancy decorated sugar cookie in the middle.  If you were stacking, you could easily fit two dozen cookies, I think.

I think the chocolate boxes are good too - seems appetizing, and can coordinate with a lot of different colors.

I would love to share where I got the ribbon, too.  It was from ribbonfactory.com - made in the USA, and a 100 yard roll was only about $13 plus shipping.  I did get a roll from the seconds area (with tiny flaws every so often, but I haven't really noticed any) so that made it a little cheaper than the first quality.  I would highly recommend this vendor. :)

Liz

MimiFix Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 68

Liz, your boxes are beautiful! Are these for retail only, or do you also sell them wholesale? And the shelf life?

liz at sugar Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 68

We are opening a separate bakery retail location across the street from our restaurant in a new year round market - part farmer's market, part artisan foods, part artists and craftspeople.  I will be a permanent vendor selling retail cookies/bars/small cakes/eclairs/etc.  They are doing an open house next week to preview the space to our community, so I am making up 100 boxes to sell that evening.

I will also sell them as a sampler for my first year open, so people can try a variety of what I offer.  Hoping it will also be a good way to boost my average ticket sales on opening.

As for shelf life, I will be packaging them the day of the event, so they will be fresh for a couple of days after purchase.

Liz

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:00pm
post #16 of 68

Love seeing all the pretty boxes and packaging ideas! The only cookies I sent out this year were chocolate covered Oreos. They fit perfect in a cupcake liner and then I put them into $1 cookie tins from The Dollar Tree. The relatives loved them.

MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 1:47am
post #17 of 68

this is as dressed up as my Spritz cookies will get this year. (It's like the sweatpants of boxes.) :P

SPRITZ COOKIES

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 2:59am
post #18 of 68

ALol!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 4:25am
post #19 of 68

Hey Alaska - Many grocery stores are selling them that way - You're in step with those big guys :lol:

Myself? I did 2 kinds of nuts for family this year - lol 

MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 7:58am
post #20 of 68

That's interesting.  Thanks !!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 8:23am
post #21 of 68

ASweatpants - snork.

Tell your cookies that they're trashy. Seriously - no self-respecting cookie would be seen in public with sweatpants!

MimiFix Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 1:13pm
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Sweatpants - snork.

Tell your cookies that they're trashy. Seriously - no self-respecting cookie would be seen in public with sweatpants!

Have you seen some of those holiday sweatpants? il_340x270.523021131_bn5v.jpg 

MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 68

Those sweatpants are cute, but they look kinda small,  I could probably wear them as a scarf

and delivery cookie bags.  :D

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 11:42pm
post #24 of 68

AI need those. Actually, I'd love a pair with a huge Christmas tree going up the thigh. Then I could use my Bedazzler for further embellishment.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 1:16am
post #25 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I bought some fom Hobby Lobby today and they sucked so badly...flimsy and cheap and half were falling part. Shoulda known better!

Those cheapy ones are cute but I learned.... TAPE the bottom together when you form them and then they work great! 4 pieces of tape, one at each "joint" and you are good to go!

liz at sugar Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 3:18pm
post #26 of 68

Thought I would post what my finished/filled box looked like.  I fit 12 cookies in each box, of varying sizes.

I made up 74 boxes for a 2 hour event, and sold 60.  I was pleased with the results. :)

Liz

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 3:48pm
post #27 of 68

Awesome!  I ordered some 7x7s the other day.  I can't remember what color though. I think it was the light brown because I'm cheap and it's for family.  :)  I LOVE the chocolate brown though!

MBalaska Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 8:26pm
post #28 of 68

Liz your cookie box is 'bedazzeling'  and makes me miss the Lower 48.

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 8:32pm
post #29 of 68

Liz, is that yellow one a petit four?  Is that springerle in the lower right?

liz at sugar Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 9:20pm
post #30 of 68

AThanks MB. Annie, yes, petit four upper center. Peanut butter to the left, Scottish shortbread to the right. Center row was lime basil shortbreads, frosted sugar and a macaron. Bottom row biscotti, salted caramel bar, meringues and springerle. Had very nice feedback, which made my day!

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%