I Need To Vent About A Customer!

Lounge By vanessarampersad Updated 9 Dec 2013 , 8:10pm by -K8memphis

vanessarampersad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanessarampersad Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 21

AHi everyone!

I will try to keep this as concise as possible:

A client was referred to me by a mutual friend and she contacted me through a Facebook message to do her engagement cake. She liked part of a design I had done before (she found the design in my cake picture album). Everything was agreed upon and I delivered the cake today and picked up the payment from her friend. When I was delivering the cake she sent me a text message asking me to not put a picture of the cake on Facebook. Her friend explains to me that there were people not invited to the engagement and she doesn't want them to see any pictures. Here is the rest of our exchange through texts starting with my response:

ME: Hi (name)! I hope you and your guests enjoy the cake. I love how it turned out, and had a hard time parting with it! As for the pictures - as I'm sure you know pictures are an integral part of my business. And as most of my clients come to me through referrals, Facebook is a big part of that. All of my cakes get posted on Facebook and Instagram. What I can do for you is not tag you in any pictures and instead of putting your names in the caption I can write something generic like "Congratulations to the happy couple". I hope that you can understand where I'm coming from.

HER: You should have told me that before.You should mention that to all of your clients beforehand just incase they are not comfortable with that. But thank you very much for your time and effort and for all you've done.

ME: I'm so sorry you feel that way. To be honest, the only reason I didn't mention it was because I've never been asked to not put my cake pictures up. I don't want to do anything to make you uncomfortable! I noticed that we don't have any mutual friends on Facebook other than (the person who referred Her) - if that's what you were concerned about. I've enjoyed working with you, and as you've mentioned me doing your wedding cake, I'm very much looking forward to working with you again in the future. As I said, I don't want to do anything to make you uncomfortable. How can we come to a compromise?

Ok, am I crazy or something? How can she possibly tell me that I should have told her that I post pictures of my work on Facebook when she herself contacted me through Facebook, and chose part of her design from my existing pictures?? I don't want to lose her as a client or create a bad name for myself, but I also don't want my work to be hidden. Her cake turned out beautifully and I'm proud of it!

Any help?

20 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 21

AJust Let it go. Post the pics without the identifying info. You have the right to post pics of your work, unless she asks you in advance not to, in which case, I would charge a fee for that.

vanessarampersad Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 21

AThank you BrandisBaked! I spoke with her friend and she said she would talk to her about it. I'm trying to be as nice/ accommodating as possible so I don't lose out on doing her wedding cake. Still bugged because I want to post the pictures ASAP but I'm trying to be ok with it.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 21

I don't see the big deal. If her problem is what she says it is, then don't give names.  I assume you'd never post a pic with names without specific permission. Just use your photos in a way that can't be associated with her and her event.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 21

Yes, no naming names.  However, in this age of Facebook, everyone is bound to not be included in something and know about it.  Sad reality.  I tell my little one "you can't go to every party, you would be too busy all the time!"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 21

i would have grabbed control in a positive way--instead of leaving it flopped open--not that this is an appropriate answer at this time for this situation--but this line of thought is an idea for any next times--

i'd have given assurance like you did but with finality--'oh i completely understand your concerns--i can assure you -- your name and event will not be associated in any way with this cake photo--i will carefully guard your privacy'

something to the effect--'of course i will protect you when i post my work product --thank you for letting me know'

and finalize it--take control--finish the job--now you're waiting for her to respond to your uncertainty--uncomfortable--

just a thought for you~~

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 21

AI would like to add that as a favor to her, I would probably wait a week or so before posting just to make her feel better.

vanessarampersad Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 21

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

i would have grabbed control in a positive way--instead of leaving it flopped open--not that this is an appropriate answer at this time for this situation--but this line of thought is an idea for any next times--

i'd have given assurance like you did but with finality--'oh i completely understand your concerns--i can assure you -- your name and event will not be associated in any way with this cake photo--i will carefully guard your privacy'

something to the effect--'of course i will protect you when i post my work product --thank you for letting me know'

and finalize it--take control--finish the job--now you're waiting for her to respond to your uncertainty--uncomfortable--

just a thought for you~~

I wish I had thought of this! I think I was being too concerned with being nice. I will try to work some of this in when I speak to her next. Thank you!

vanessarampersad Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 21

AThank you to everyone else who commented with suggestions - I really appreciate it!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 21

I find this very interesting bc I once I had the same situation except that in my case I made the cake for a friends daughter as a gift and she asked me not to put any photos up bc she doesn't want any of her friends to know that the cake at her party came from me! I said that I would put it up but took the photo at some distance so you could not see her daughters name but could see the cake - needless to say that is the last time I've made her a cake.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 21

i had an opposite thing happen to me--i had a client call me and ask when i was gonna put her son's cake on my website--egahds i've been undone!

i was not pleased with that cake and i was happy that it got eaten by hungry teenage boys and was no more--

immortalize it on the world wide web?  but i did and they were happy -- and i learned to like that ugly little cake eventually sort of...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 21

No need to give the customers name or post it immediately.

But you ingenious cake artists own your creations, don't you?  You may make a dozen of the same or similar cakes in the future. This one design could be a moneymaker for you.  How will you get more business if you have to hide your art.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:15am
post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

I don't see the big deal. If her problem is what she says it is, then don't give names.  I assume you'd never post a pic with names without specific permission. Just use your photos in a way that can't be associated with her and her event.

I agree, you can very easily post the pic without naming the couple or any other identifying info, and then the chance of someone figuring out she had an engagement party from seeing the cake would be extremely remote. 

Annelie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annelie76 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 21

I would never post a picture of a clients cake against their will. The message you are sending is that you are more concerned about getting new clients than keeping your current clients happy. They may also have other reasons for not wanting their engagement cake posted online, but whatever the reason, you should not ignore their request. 

Also, I learned in business-school that it is more expensive to acquire new clients than to keep existing ones :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 21

AI agree.

Most clients love to see their cakes on FB and our website.

We have the occasional client (mostly celebrities!) who request that we don't post pictures. We're professional and discrete, and honor these requests.

We also have a couple of regular clients who buy birthday cakes for their kids - and they request that we photograph their cakes before we put the kids' names on.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 21

More often than not, my clients are similar to those others have mentioned.  They want to know if/when a photo of their cake will be posted to the website.

When it comes to expensive cakes like weddings and other tiered or carved cakes, I absolutely mention the fact photos will be used.  I do it in a generic way.  

Your client is not like the general population.  I agree with those who posted that it is more important to honor these wishes.  At this point, in your conversation, I would I propose a compromise of waiting 3-6 months.  That should be ample time for most people to loose any recognition to the connection of this particular couple.

I know it is hard to wait.  There is a cake I'm dying to post!  I can't.  I have to wait until the magazine is published.  That's 2 more months!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:01pm
post #17 of 21

Can we see the cake?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

Can we see the cake?

oh no -- then with just one look of a cake we've never seen before we'll discover we were shafted by a random unnamed close friend --

c'mon you know if she posts it we can't look   :sssh:  

too risky  :grin:

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:50pm
post #19 of 21

I added a line to my Ts & Cs stating that I reserve the right to photograph all cakes and use them for future promotional material.  So far, no one has never mentioned it but could be something to consider?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

oh no -- then with just one look of a cake we've never seen before we'll discover we were shafted by a random unnamed close friend --

Fair enough, but it is a cake she is obviously proud of, it seems a shame that nobody will get to see it.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 8:10pm
post #21 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Fair enough, but it is a cake she is obviously proud of, it seems a shame that nobody will get to see it.

well in that case i'd be willing to risk losing those heartless friends who did not invite us because i have been dying to see it since the very  first mention of the possibility of it not being posted--

you just have to tell someone not to do something in order to inflame the rabid desire to have it--

so tantalizing-- sigh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%