Unknown Cake Pan!

Decorating By Nifflerstorm Updated 7 Dec 2013 , 9:58pm by auzzi

Nifflerstorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nifflerstorm Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:35am
post #1 of 9

My A.C. Moore lost their lease and they've started to liquidate the store.  Because of that, the cake pans that I've been waiting to go on sale went down in price. And while I was snagging them up, I saw another one behind everything else. It had no label or tags, and they only charged me a few dollars for it. Anyway, I have no idea how much batter it needs and all of my searches have turned up empty.   :detective:

minitiers.jpg

This is the exact cake pan that I bought. If anyone could help me out, I'd be really grateful :)   

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:58am
post #2 of 9

I have seen these before on line. They are mini tier cake pans. I am guessing that once they cook you would cut in between the tiers and put either filling or frosting and frost the whole cake. But if you cut them then there might be a problem with bottom cake layer being crushed. I am hoping someone here will have the answer as to how to use them because I am only guessing!!!

I am not sure how much cake batter to put in them but surely someone here will be able to answer you on these issues. I think the cake pan is very cute!!!  For a couple of dollars you got a deal for sure!!! Some people do not like decorating small cakes but they would probably be good for someone who wants to practice as if they are decorating a wedding cake plus eating them too!!!

Nifflerstorm Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:06am
post #3 of 9

The pan had good reviews on Amazon, but no one mentioned on how much batter to use. :evil:

My family is celebrating my mom's birthday on Sunday and she is NUTS about snowmen. I was hoping to make six of these (to represent her, her husband, and her four kids) and put them onto a large circle cake with some small details. Her husband's snowman is going to be fishing in the fondant pond  :lol:

I also had the idea to use these mini cakes as a base for christmas trees. And instead of cutting into a cake and making a mess, everyone will get their own personalized tree. I'm not that good of a piper so hopefully it doesn't go too badly. :razz:

remnant3333 Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:29am
post #4 of 9

Here is one from a person who used this same looking pan that gave a few tips with this pan below. Maybe this will help you. Still waiting for someone else who has used this pan to comment.

This is a very sturdy, top quality product. The metal is extremely thick. Makes adorable little cakes. I'd say about 2-3 servings per cake. I was hoping it was 1 serving per cake, but it was bigger than expected.

Some tips:
-It will take AT LEAST one box of store-bought cake batter to fill the 4 cakes. They don't tell you this in the "instructions" provided. They were a little bigger than I hoped/anticipated.
-Fill up the cake to a little above the bottom of the bottom tier (the biggest tier, which will be on top when baking). Do not overfill!! it will overflow.
-They are tough to ice, but I assume most people would expect this.
-Do not let water sit in it to soak, it may start rusting. Mine did, but I don't see this as a product problem, just a learning experience.

Nifflerstorm Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:35am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

-Fill up the cake to a little above the bottom of the bottom tier (the biggest tier, which will be on top when baking). Do not overfill!! it will overflow.

So, only fill a little bit above the last tier! Thank you!

But wow, a whole box! I didn't expect that :-(

At least its box cake and not from scratch, that'd take forever! Thank you so much for that :) Now I just have to figure out how long to cook them and at what temperature ;-D 

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:44am
post #6 of 9

Hi Just saw this mini 3 tier cake pan. I think its cute.  I make cakes from scratch.. so here goes my way. put the pan on a scale. adjust to "0"  then just fill one cavity with water and weigh it.  eg. it weighs 1000gms  take 10%  (use 100gms of that for your main ingredient)  since I make mainly pound cakes and similar it works for me. I would use  100gms butter,100gms sugar,100gms flour,100eggs.  I should say that my cakes are abt 3 - 31/2" height.   Should you follow this method,  you will have to multiply this by four since there are four cavities.  HTH

remnant3333 Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:46am
post #7 of 9

I am still hoping someone here may be able to tell us more. I got that from someone who made comments on a pan that looked just like the one you showed. I am wondering if they make these kinds of pans in different sizes??

Does yours look like it may only have 2 servings per cake? How small are they? Anyway maybe someone here will know what temperature and how long to cook for. I guess trial and error but like the one person said they will overflow if you over fill them so just give it a try and see. Maybe you will have more cake mix than you need from a cake box after filling 4 of them, I really don't know.

Nifflerstorm Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 5:56am
post #8 of 9

The heights of each tier is the length of my thumb and the diameter of the largest tier is about 4 1/2 inches.

With a box cake mix, the temperature is always the same right? The only thing that changes is the baking time for what you use, right? Cupcakes, bundt pan, ect.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 9

Blog entry of interest with packaging instructions:

http://crystalslens.com/2012/08/25/multi-tier-pan-baking-problem/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%