Would Using Chocolate Ganache As A Crumbcoat Eliminate Buldging Of Fondant?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 6 Dec 2013 , 2:47am by Smckinney07

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake order for Dec 20th.The customer ordered a two tiered cake...10 and 6 and wants it covered in red fondant.I have covered a lot of 3D cakes in fondant but not many tiered cakes and fear the cake will bulge or buckle..What is the best technique for keeping this from happening..I have used ganache before for a 3D purse and it kinda hardened like chocolate so I am thinking this will work to keep the cake perfectly round and no middle ripples...

Thoughts anyone...

2 replies
dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 3

The only time I have issues with bulging/bubbles is when we are dealing with humidity, here is Arizona. Really, you want to give your filled cakes time to settle - otherwise, no matter what you use as a crumbcoat, you'll have issues with bulging.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 2:47am
post #3 of 3

AI love using ganache, and it will help (to an extent) in keeping your cake together.

The main issue that seems to cause buldging for me is not letting my cakes settle properly. After they are stacked and carved I let them sit overnight or I use the tile (From Leah I believe) for a few hours to speed up the process. I'm not sure what kind of 3d cake you are doing so the tile method might not work-but letting them sit will.

Also, you need to have a proper support system to avoid your cake from buckling-ganache alone wont keep your cake together unless it's properly supported internally and your base board must be strong enough to hold the weight of the entire finished cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%