Transport A Cake? Boards?

Decorating By gemmac Updated 4 Dec 2013 , 5:47pm by mfeagan

gemmac Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:22am
post #1 of 4

Hi all

I am VERY new to baking and having some success so far. I have a question about getting cakes from the tin, and transporting it in the car. Do I have to use a new cake board every time? They are quite expensive and I would love it if there was a more cost effective way to do this. 

Apologies if you have covered this in the past, your help here is much appreciated

3 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 8:05am
post #2 of 4

AI'm a bit confused about your question.

You are having trouble getting cakes out of the pans? Try some cake release or parchment paper, you can use both if you want.

So, you are new to baking & delivering cakes-I assume you are taking cake orders, you might have jumped into business a bit too soon. Cake decorating is a VERY expensive hobby (business aside), it is definitely necessary to use different boards for each cake. It's unsanitary not to, and I'm not sure how you'd get them back from a customer anyway.

You really need a proper pricing structure in place before you start taking orders (legality, health code, experience, etc. aside), cake boards, baseboards, dowels, ingredients, boxes, etc. should be worked into each cake order. Plus your other expenses; overhead, time, and many other things in order for you to make any kind of profit.

You can lower costs by purchasing in bulk.

suzied Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:33am
post #3 of 4

The disposable silver boards arnt that expensive. if you need a thicker board like the Masonite ones.  why don't you buy some MDF board and cut them to size (of course you need an electric saw, a little jig-saw one should do) you can cover it with any type of wrapping paper. If you do this you have to place a cardboard circle immediately under your cake. Otherwise like the previous person said in bulk and save.

mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 4

Another idea is to use thick foam core boards if your cakes aren't huge and heavy. If they are, you would need to double or triple them up. Cover that board in fondant, cake board foil or color flow royal icing. Put ribbon on the raw edges. 

Be sure you are charging enough when pricing your cakes! Before you jump on a cake, figure out what you are going to need before you give a quote. The customer buys the boards from you…their cake sits on it and what they do with it after, is up to them….keep it for a trophy or throw it away, but you should never go in the hole for a cake. I don't tell them they bought the cake board, it just automatically figures in to the price! If you are charging per slice, work the cost of your equipment for the cake into the per slice fee. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%