Macarons - Loose Colour? Please Help!

Decorating By Jasmin32 Updated 12 May 2014 , 4:21am by littlepig123

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 2:36am
post #1 of 7

I would really like to know why my macarons don't stay the same colour they were before they went in the oven! Below is a picture of a batch of pink macarons I made, the ones on the left have just came out the over and the ones on the right are piped ready to go in the oven. Look at the colour change! They don't look pink at all afterwards.

I am making snowman macarons today for the shop and really want them to look white like snowman are supposed to but my white macarons aways come out a light brown from the oven.

I cook my macarons at 150 degrees, I've tried lowering it but then they crack? I cook them for 14 minutes, which is until they are 'just' cooked so know I'm not cooking them for too long.

I also have a baking tray at the top of the oven to shield them from the heat a bit.

I'd appreciate any tips! I get so frustrated when I see other gorgeous bright coloured macarons in shops and wish I could get mine to look like that!

Thank you so much!

6 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 3:32am
post #2 of 7

Not sure if I have answer, but a) what type of food colour are you using.  I think you need to make them darker to compensate for colour changing when it bakes.  or b) try using powder colour and practice

how much you need to put in. ( gel might work as well)

Your thoughts on heat might be part of it, but when I've baked cookies the dough was always brighter than finished cooked piece.

Any plain cookie I did always is a wee bit brown--not quite white.  Can you add white colour to dough or dip cookies in melted white chocolate to get them superwhite ( I know that is not what you would normally do to a macaron---but if you want a snowman try it)

I am thinking for that much loss of colour it's the dye you use  or just not enough of it.  

Let me know if it helps.

Sakura Blossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakura Blossom Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:54am
post #3 of 7

AThis happened to me only when I overbaked them. Macaron are tricky, are you using and oven thermometer? If not I would advice you get one, especially for macaron. I find the slight variation of temp can make a big diff. I am baking them myself at 300F ( on my thermometer not the oven) but for 16 minutes. However, I am using Silpat and my cookie sheet are aluminium.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:03am
post #4 of 7

When you bake macarons, they will always come out lighter than what you see piped on the tray.  You will have to add more coloring for an intense color.  I use Americolor and it works really well. 

White macaron?  Not sure cause you're working with almond flour which is anything but white.  You could try white luster dust after they are cooled or give them a light coating of sanding sugar for a snowman effect - I have not tried either of these.  Just throwing ideas out.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:06am
post #5 of 7

I also use the Italian meringue method and add my color to my mixed flour/sugar with a little egg white before adding the meringue.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 11:45am
post #6 of 7

We use Americolor, they come out bright and cheerfully yum, what colours are you using?

littlepig123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlepig123 Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

Jasmin32, I have the same problem, too. I use Wilton color set and Silpat baking mats to bake at 290F. Have you been able to overcome this issue? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%