Help! Need To Recreate This Lego Cake!

Decorating By pinkiescupcakes Updated 5 Dec 2013 , 6:48pm by dukeswalker

pinkiescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkiescupcakes Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 2:09am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys,

I need to recreate this lego cake for my friend's son's birthday. Need some advice on how to achieve the corner where the fondant peels away to reveal lego blocks.

do i:

1) cover the entire cake with 1 layer of fondant, place the lego pieces on and then cover it with another layer of fondant with the corners cut off?

2) stick the lego pieces onto the corner of the cake with the buttercream layer underneath the fondant, and then cover the cake with fondant that has been pre-cut at the corner? (sounds tough!). won't that result in a huge mess?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks a bunch!

7 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:59am
post #2 of 8

AI would go with #1, treat it like an exploding cake, and just add the Lego dots after cutting away the excess fondant.

#2 would work but you run the risk of gaps or sliding

Either way, get your fondant as thin as possible

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 8

I did this in a round version.   After complety icing my cake and chilling (overnight)...I covered took out of the frig and immediately covered in fondant then took an exacto knife and cut out my triange (what my design had). 

Then starting at the top of the exposed area...cut out the lego rectangles.   Finished off with the exposed top.

Filling in a triange was a huge PITA....this design should be much easier being a square area.

HTH

SweetandSwanky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetandSwanky Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 8

I would do the option #1 you suggested. Do make the fondant nice and thin.

First, cover cake in fondant. Cake should be cool.

Second, do the lego blocks, no dots yet.

Third, I would loosely drape/place the exterior fondant over the cube, then use a sharp knife or scissors to cut away some of the fondant where you want your legos exposed. Make sure the exposed area, or cut you make in fondant, is SMALLER than desired. Then you can smooth over your fondant on all the other sides, and clean up the lines where they meet with the legos with the knife again exactly where you need them. 

Forth, add lego dots.

I sure hope this helps and good luck!

ddaigle Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 8

AY'all are making this much harder than it is... I would definitely not put two layers of fondant on this cake.

ddaigle Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 8

AThe worst part of that whole cake is making a little dots for the Legos

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Y'all are making this much harder than it is... I would definitely not put two layers of fondant on this cake.

Exactly! Waaay harder!

1. Cover your cake with white fondant.

2. Cut the area of fondant out where the legos will go.

3. Make legos and stack them in the cut out section.

4. Roll out another piece of white fondant. 

5. Cut roughly into the shape of the piece you cut out for the legos. 

6. Attach newly cut fondant piece to the top to make it look like it was peeled back. 

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Y'all are making this much harder than it is... I would definitely not put two layers of fondant on this cake.

This!  When I made my exploding cake (similar concept) I covered just the part that was going to be visiable with fondant (not the whole cake) then placed a piece of parchment paper over that part.  Then covered it with my outer fondant and used an exacto knife to cut open the area I needed and folded back the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%