:pulled Sugar Going Hard Too Quickly To Work With..even Under A Heat Lamp

Sugar Work By liaison Updated 26 Jan 2014 , 6:51pm by CakeDay

liaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liaison Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 6

Please help!  My sugar goes too hard to work with even after I pull it and put it under the heat lamp.  What am I doing wrong?  

5 replies
CakeDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDay Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 12:28am
post #2 of 6

Were you using granulated (table) sugar, or isomalt?  If you were using isomalt, did you purchase nibs or did you cook the isomalt yourself?

If you're using table sugar, then it is likely you didn't have enough glucose/corn syrup.

if you were using Isomalt, it is likely overheated or not enough water was used in making the  isomalt.

Baaaaking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baaaaking Queen Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

You've got to check out this really great brand CakePlay. They have awesome melt in the microwave Isomalt nibs, and lots of fun molds to choose from. They also have a Sugar Shack that works well to keep the sugar day to use… and you can re-heat in the microwave whenever needed! They even have How To videos on their site with lots of great info! I really really like this brand, they've thought of everything… This is a fish mold with the coal… such pretty stuff!! :) 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

ChefSergii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefSergii Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 3:07am
post #4 of 6

lollllll

ChefSergii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefSergii Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 3:14am
post #5 of 6

I have the same problem when using sugar and isomolt . What i found out tonight that we have to add glocose , acid , cream of tartar to it so it dose not go hard , i am still looking for a right recipe so will let you know when i get one . all i know is that one need 1g of cream of tartar ( which is acid i think ) for 1kg sugar  . or 10ml lemon juice   . I did not try to use either of them so dont know for sure 

CakeDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDay Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6

Here is the recipe I use;

3 Cups Granulated Sugar

just less than 1 cup of water (about 7/8 )

1/2 cup glucose or corn syrup (add 1 tbsp if you're using corn syrup)  Use less in humid environment which helps hold shape but makes it harder to work with.

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (extract will not work)

Combine water and sugar in 1.5 qt sauce pan (stainless steel is best).

Make sure sugar crystals are not on side of pan outside of mixture and make sure this mixture is homogenous

Heat on medium high heat until mixture reaches a rolling boil.

Add glucose/corn syrup

Heat to 305F and add lemon juice.

Heat to 310 to 315 (depending on application) and remove from heat and stop cooking process by placing pan on cool (heat resistant) surface.

After the boil falls out you can add color or flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%