My Baking Channel :)

Decorating By ellenoirify Updated 7 Dec 2013 , 7:22am by morganchampagne

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:39pm
post #31 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Who is the tutorial best suited for, if someone asked you? Like who would you aim this at, what sort of decorator? Beginner, hobbyist, seasoned pro, etc.

 

 

^^^this^^^ perfect question and it was the #2 post in the thread--

 

obviously this incredible and enthusiastic video is for anyone from rank beginner on up--people who don't even have spiffy tools--this is brilliant and i'm not blowing smoke--it's incredible because she pulled it off even with the too soft fondant--the results are adorable--the results would delight the recipients--

 

exchanging the process to create something fun and beautiful is a gift-- ta daa!

 

teaching is not a display of knowledge--it's a transfer and this video succeeds--

 

i love nick lodge--he is a wonderful human being and in class he is brilliant--his classes are most user friendly --incredibly set up--he is a pro amongst pros--however i have never been able to stay awake during one of his videos--and i have several--i have offered them to friends who have insomnia--he makes the most beautiful flowers--and he could have a second career in 'sleep aid therapy' --

 

i don't think being pro and proper is always the preferred direction--

 

"ta daa"

AZCouture Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:03pm
post #32 of 81

ASome of the best things to have on in the background to help slip in to a nap: golf, football, and cake tutorials. Some of the voices are quite sleep inducing.

MimiFix Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:44pm
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

 Some of the voices are quite sleep inducing.

 

No offense, but are we allowed to say things like this? It might hurt someone's feelings, and then we all know what happens. (At this point I must apologize. I am so sorry, but I'm unable to find an appropriate smiley face to place after the question mark. Please forgive me.) 

810whitechoc Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:55pm
post #34 of 81

Don't use an exacto knife on the mat you have, it is for rolling out large sheets of fondant to cover a cake.  Buy yourself some inexpensive silicone kitchen cutting boards.  They are flexible and cheap, I bought a pack of 4 for under $10 from the kitchenware section of a local department store, keep your good fondant mat for rolling and use the cheap mats for jobs like you did on your youtube vid. I think I get what you are trying to do, that is show people they don't need cutters and things that cake decorators use to decorate cupcakes.  Another tip, don't keep flipping your fondant over and patting it, the large finger marks in it are not good.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:24pm
post #35 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

 Some of the voices are quite sleep inducing.

 

No offense, but are we allowed to say things like this? It might hurt someone's feelings, and then we all know what happens. (At this point I must apologize. I am so sorry, but I'm unable to find an appropriate smiley face to place after the question mark. Please forgive me.) 

 

 

mimi, are you being facetious?

ellenoirify Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:32pm
post #36 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 
 

Don't use an exacto knife on the mat you have, it is for rolling out large sheets of fondant to cover a cake.  Buy yourself some inexpensive silicone kitchen cutting boards.  They are flexible and cheap, I bought a pack of 4 for under $10 from the kitchenware section of a local department store, keep your good fondant mat for rolling and use the cheap mats for jobs like you did on your youtube vid. I think I get what you are trying to do, that is show people they don't need cutters and things that cake decorators use to decorate cupcakes.  Another tip, don't keep flipping your fondant over and patting it, the large finger marks in it are not good.

Thanks for the tips!!

AZCouture Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:40pm
post #37 of 81

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

No offense, but are we allowed to say things like this? It might hurt someone's feelings, and then we all know what happens. (At this point I must apologize. I am [I]so[/I] sorry, but I'm unable to find an appropriate smiley face to place after the question mark. Please forgive me.) 

;-) That one?

MimiFix Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 8:00pm
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

mimi, are you being facetious?

No.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

icon_wink.gif That one?

Yes.

Godot Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:03pm
post #39 of 81

AKara Buntin's latest blog post is fabulous.

MimiFix Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:12pm
post #40 of 81

Link, please.

Godot Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:18pm
post #41 of 81

AOh I knew someone would ask!

It's something like A Cake to Remember blabla something something.

shanter Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:19pm
post #42 of 81
shanter Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 9:32pm
post #43 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwright 

she put the voting buttons that's still no reason to offer up negativity, either you like it or you don't. Plain and simple.

 

But if all people did was vote, she wouldn't learn anything. The OP herself said "some people write "oh that´s a bad video" but they don´t tell me what I can do better" so she did want feedback. She just mistook honesty for "meanness."

MBalaska Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:30pm
post #44 of 81

Isn't all of this just a result of home computer internet access?  Prior to that someone had to personally show you in their kitchen.  You had to attend a classroom demonstration or buy a book.  First Video cassette tapes arrived, then DVD's, now free flowing unlimited inexpensive internet.

 

Shanter's got a good point.  People here often mistake honesty for "meanness."  When they ask for 'feedback' they really mean "Give me Flattery."

JWinslow Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:37pm
post #45 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Kara Buntin's latest blog post is fabulous.

;-D

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 11:58pm
post #46 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwright 

she put the voting buttons that's still no reason to offer up negativity, either you like it or you don't. Plain and simple.

 

But if all people did was vote, she wouldn't learn anything. The OP herself said "some people write "oh that´s a bad video" but they don´t tell me what I can do better" so she did want feedback. She just mistook honesty for "meanness."


Don't they all?

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 11:59pm
post #47 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

Isn't all of this just a result of home computer internet access?  Prior to that someone had to personally show you in their kitchen.  You had to attend a classroom demonstration or buy a book.  First Video cassette tapes arrived, then DVD's, now free flowing unlimited inexpensive internet.

 

Shanter's got a good point.  People here often mistake honesty for "meanness."  When they ask for 'feedback' they really mean "Give me Flattery."

If no one else is going to do it, I will be the one to start the "sloww clap". Anyone care to join me?

shanter Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 12:10am
post #48 of 81

If no one is listening, does clapping actually make a sound?

costumeczar Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 12:16am
post #49 of 81

A

Original message sent by shanter

If no one is listening, does clapping actually make a sound?

It makes the same sound as banging your head on the desk when no one is listening.

carmijok Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 12:57am
post #50 of 81

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

It makes the same sound as banging your head on the desk when no one is listening.

LOL!!

scwright Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 1:53am
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 
 

 

But if all people did was vote, she wouldn't learn anything. The OP herself said "some people write "oh that´s a bad video" but they don´t tell me what I can do better" so she did want feedback. She just mistook honesty for "meanness."

I agree with you, I was mainly talking about these comments:</p>

 

"Cute, but not helpful for me since those are very beginner level cupcakes."  - was that necessary??

"Are you kidding me?! And this is a tutorial?" - was that necessary??.</p>

 

and she is not the only one who is treated to this type of commentary, I've seen it on plenty of other post.  My point was geared more towards the type of feedback given, I'm all for constructive criticism and feedback like someone else said that's how we learn but there is a way to do it and those comments along with others are not the way. </p>

 

There are a few here who have the mentality "you asked for it so I'm going to give it to you straight" really?? is that they way to build up confidence in people and make them want to improve?? There are young teenagers/adults who come on this forum who are just starting out and have dreams of becoming bakers and decorators how do you think those kind of comments make them feel about pursuing their dreams?  And even if it's not a child and it's an adult who is just starting out how do you think that makes them feel?  You don't know what goes on in peoples lives, they come on here seeking a little help and encouragement and instead are treated to this type of negativity, sarcasm and sometimes outright meanness.  And we wonder why the world is the way it is.  All I'm saying is a little kindness goes a long way even if it's concerning "constructive criticism".

thecakewitch Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 3:33am
post #52 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwright 
 

I agree with you, I was mainly talking about these comments:</p>

 

"Cute, but not helpful for me since those are very beginner level cupcakes."  - was that necessary??

"Are you kidding me?! And this is a tutorial?" - was that necessary??.</p>

 

and she is not the only one who is treated to this type of commentary, I've seen it on plenty of other post.  My point was geared more towards the type of feedback given, I'm all for constructive criticism and feedback like someone else said that's how we learn but there is a way to do it and those comments along with others are not the way. </p>

 

There are a few here who have the mentality "you asked for it so I'm going to give it to you straight" really?? is that they way to build up confidence in people and make them want to improve?? There are young teenagers/adults who come on this forum who are just starting out and have dreams of becoming bakers and decorators how do you think those kind of comments make them feel about pursuing their dreams?  And even if it's not a child and it's an adult who is just starting out how do you think that makes them feel?  You don't know what goes on in peoples lives, they come on here seeking a little help and encouragement and instead are treated to this type of negativity, sarcasm and sometimes outright meanness.  And we wonder why the world is the way it is.  All I'm saying is a little kindness goes a long way even if it's concerning "constructive criticism".

The OP did not started this thread to get "constructive criticism and feedback". I think he/she started this to get more people to subscribe to his/her Baking Channel. Both threads that she/he started is promoting the Baking Channel! And if someone is posting tutorials on youtube and joining public forums, you're opening up yourself to everybody--good and bad. You cannot choose what kind of response you're going to get. 

 

"Are you kidding me?! And this is a tutorial?" <= and this comment? Yes, I watched the video and I don't think it's cute or informative even to a beginner. It is my opinion. Why would somebody teach the public how to do something if this person doesn't know what they're doing in the first place….and promote it too.

 

So, yeah, I'm mean and negative and all that! 

ellenoirify Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 8:39am
post #53 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 
 

The OP did not started this thread to get "constructive criticism and feedback". I think he/she started this to get more people to subscribe to his/her Baking Channel. Both threads that she/he started is promoting the Baking Channel! And if someone is posting tutorials on youtube and joining public forums, you're opening up yourself to everybody--good and bad. You cannot choose what kind of response you're going to get. 

 

"Are you kidding me?! And this is a tutorial?" <= and this comment? Yes, I watched the video and I don't think it's cute or informative even to a beginner. It is my opinion. Why would somebody teach the public how to do something if this person doesn't know what they're doing in the first place….and promote it too.

 

So, yeah, I'm mean and negative and all that! 

Yes sure I started this thread to promote my channel BUT I mainly did it because I want to know what other bakers think about it! 
Now I know that it is not helpful for everybody so I´m trying to put more effort in my next video! 
Please, I know what I´m doing I just want some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism not only a " that sucks" or something like that. If you don´t like it well I´m fine with this but tell me what you think I could do better next time. That´s why I started this thread

cakefat Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 11:23am
post #54 of 81

I think next time, definitely pull back your hair, take off any jewelry, make clean cuts with your knife/tool so there aren't any messy cut out bits on whatever you're cutting out. Use the proper tools for this-(Don't use a butter knife).  Just aim for clean, precise, high quality work/skills- meaning not ranging from messy to average work. I'm sure if you keep practicing, you'll get there. You have to pay attention to the details.

 

What I liked about it, is that you didn't speak-personally I think written instructions are better as sometimes people have strange voices ranging from nasal to whatever else- which can be distracting. 

BrandisBaked Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 5:15pm
post #55 of 81

A

Original message sent by scwright

I agree with you, I was mainly talking about these comments:

"Cute, but not helpful for me since those are very beginner level cupcakes."  - was that necessary??

Yes, actually it WAS necessary. I didn't say anything rude at all. If OP wants to do tutorials, she needs to up her own game and improve her skills and technique. I have some videos on YouTube, but I don't promote them because they are crap (made only because some people on CC asked me to show how I made certain things). I leave them up in case they can help someone, but i'm actually a little embarrassed by them. If I had set out wanting to be seen by a larger audience, I would put more effort into them, and that is what I think OP should do.

kblickster Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 6:38pm
post #56 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwright 

 

 

There are a few here who have the mentality "you asked for it so I'm going to give it to you straight" really?? is that they way to build up confidence in people and make them want to improve?? There are young teenagers/adults who come on this forum who are just starting out and have dreams of becoming bakers and decorators how do you think those kind of comments make them feel about pursuing their dreams?  And even if it's not a child and it's an adult who is just starting out how do you think that makes them feel?  You don't know what goes on in peoples lives, they come on here seeking a little help and encouragement and instead are treated to this type of negativity, sarcasm and sometimes outright meanness.  And we wonder why the world is the way it is.  All I'm saying is a little kindness goes a long way even if it's concerning "constructive criticism".

I don't think anyone here was trying to discourage the OP.  She was given some good feedback both positive and negative.  That's generally how constructive criticism works. 

 

I think she's got the videography and instructions down.  Now, as the others have stated, she needs to work on her content. 

 

I realize that many in todays society have been raised a little different than I was.  My own children were subjected to "We must never say or do anything to hurt their self-esteem." in public school.  They played on ball teams where everyone got a trophy regardless of how much effort was put into it.  At home they were not so coddled.  They have all thanked me for holding them to a high standard. 

Norasmom Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 6:56pm
post #57 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Kara Buntin's latest blog post is fabulous.

Alternatively, you can choose to watch/buy only those tutorials you find useful.  Sometimes an amateur wants to see another amateur in action, skill-level matching skill level.  I could buy a tutorial from many of the awesome experts on CC but then I would be left saying, "so how do I find this cake decorator so I can buy the cake from her instead…?" 

carmijok Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 9:28pm
post #58 of 81

The idea of a tutorial is to show people that professional quality is attainable through teaching techniques and proper use of tools.  If I wanted to learn amateur techniques and sloppy work then yes I would subscribe.  You do no one any favors by posting this as a tutorial.  If you want the focus of your video to be a 'look what I did using household equipment' video then you need to state that up front.  Anyone who sees this won't be inspired, they'll be thinking 'shoot I can do better than this with my eyes closed'.  Is that the point you're trying to make?  I don't think so.

 

Showing someone an amateur can do amateur work is not the point of a tutorial.  My advice to you is to view a few more tutorials yourself...Edna De LaCruz (tonedna) is one I turn to most.  There's My Cake School too where you can learn many simple techniques to improve your skills.  Sharon Zambito...Wicked Goodies...Erica O'brien...these ladies offer great advice and tutorials that teach and inspire. 

 

I am self taught...and I learned most of what I know through tutorials that featured professionals who created beautiful and clean works of art and presented it in such a way as to make it seem attainable.

 

What I found most positive about your video was the flow and the way you presented how you did things...what you need to work on, IMO, is your skill set.  You've got a real talent...you just need the right tools and the right tutorials to teach you before you can start teaching others.

Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 10:06pm
post #59 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmijok 
 

The idea of a tutorial is to show people that professional quality is attainable through teaching techniques and proper use of tools.  If I wanted to learn amateur techniques and sloppy work then yes I would subscribe.  You do no one any favors by posting this as a tutorial.  If you want the focus of your video to be a 'look what I did using household equipment' video then you need to state that up front.  Anyone who sees this won't be inspired, they'll be thinking 'shoot I can do better than this with my eyes closed'.  Is that the point you're trying to make?  I don't think so.

 

Showing someone an amateur can do amateur work is not the point of a tutorial.  My advice to you is to view a few more tutorials yourself...Edna De LaCruz (tonedna) is one I turn to most.  There's My Cake School too where you can learn many simple techniques to improve your skills.  Sharon Zambito...Wicked Goodies...Erica O'brien...these ladies offer great advice and tutorials that teach and inspire. 

 

I am self taught...and I learned most of what I know through tutorials that featured professionals who created beautiful and clean works of art and presented it in such a way as to make it seem attainable.

 

What I found most positive about your video was the flow and the way you presented how you did things...what you need to work on, IMO, is your skill set.  You've got a real talent...you just need the right tools and the right tutorials to teach you before you can start teaching others.

Good luck!

 

 

^^^ this ^^^

very well said

mattyeatscakes Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 2:50pm
post #60 of 81

i guess people need to realize that the OP's tutorial is more geared towards beginners (eg. kids, teens, moms who-have-never-decorated-a-cupcake-aside-from-sprinkles-and-their-kid-suddenly-wants-a-toy story-theme-cupcakes-for-his-birthday)...  when i was a beginner, anyone who can swirl a cupcake was god! so i appreciate videos like this. it shows that ordinary people with ordinary household items and with no decorating skill can pull off something like this. 

 

not everyone who watches the youtube videos have access to decorating tools, viewers come from all over the world and from all walks of life.  showing a tutorial on how to make a toy story cupcake topper using all sorts of tools might not be very helpful to some simply because they cannot afford the special tools or it might be too much for their skill level. i do agree with some posters that the OP should have used a parring knife, as this is a common knife in the kitchen.  but that's it. or maybe for kids following this tutorial, a butter knife is safer. 

 

anyway, i am babbling. CC is a great place to learn new skills, members here are always ready to help (thank you!!).  but some can be mighty snooty. you know who you are, and for those i wanna say - i hope your high and mighty attitudes does not give you nose bleed. :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%