Applying Fondant To A Shaped Cake

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 3 Dec 2013 , 6:15am by rexygirl

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 3:34am
post #1 of 4

I'd like some tips please: tomorrow I am applying fondant to a cake that I have cut out in the shape of a number 2. The fondant will overlap the side edges just a little and then i'm covering the sides in a different colour. How do I cover the top without stretching or tearing around the cutout sections?

3 replies
rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

AJust a thought but if you are covering the sides with a diff color why not make a template with wax paper, roll out fondant use template to cut out shape apply your top first slightly stretch down sides if needed then do your sides

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 6:10am
post #3 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexygirl 

Just a thought but if you are covering the sides with a diff color why not make a template with wax paper, roll out fondant use template to cut out shape apply your top first slightly stretch down sides if needed then do your sides

Brilliant! Such a simple solution. Thank you rexygirl. I have already made a cardboard template that I used to cut out the cake; I just need to draw around it making it a little larger.

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 6:15am
post #4 of 4

AHappy to help sometimes it's nice to just have someone to bounce ideas off of, that's what's so great about this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%