Is Wrapping Paper Cellophane Ok To Use For Cookies

Baking By amaniemom Updated 2 Dec 2013 , 4:30pm by amaniemom

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 7

Im sorry if this has been asked before.  I wanted to make a cookie bouquet then I wanted to wrap it in cellophane and but a ribbon on it.  I was wondering if the kind that you buy on large rolls like wrapping paper are safe to use?  If not how else can you package it so the cookies are protected form the elements and presented in a  vase or like container and have a professional look to it?

6 replies
Custom Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Custom Cookies Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 3:29am
post #2 of 7

Much easier than rolled cellophane are the clear bags available at the dollar store or at places like Oriental Trading Company.  They come in different sizes and they are probably the same price as (or less than) the rolled cellophane, but they are so much easier to use!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 4:23am
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom Cookies 

Much easier than rolled cellophane are the clear bags available at the dollar store or at places like Oriental Trading Company.  They come in different sizes and they are probably the same price as (or less than) the rolled cellophane, but they are so much easier to use!

I agree!

amaniemom Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:28am
post #4 of 7

So are those food safe?  My cookie bouquet  will have a skewer through the middle of each cookie to make it more interesting life a flower  and because of that they will not be individually wrapped.   I wish I knew how I would be able to individually wrap them since it will keep the cookie fresh.  Saran wrap would look tacky.

Custom Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Custom Cookies Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

I think those bags are what most people use on cookie trays.  If you want to seal each cookie, you could get those tiny cellophane bags at the craft store and heat seal them.  Cut or poke a small hole in the bottom of the bag and put the stick through the hole so the cookie is in the bag with the opening at the top.  Then heat seal it with a flat iron and trim the excess.  That way each cookie would be wrapped, but still visible.

This is just a suggestion -- I haven't tried it myself because I don't do bouquets, but I think it would work.  Good luck with your bouquet!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 7

Saran wrap will look fine if you spice up the stick like using a ribbon where the wrap meets the stick and taping it so it's tight against the cookies.  I've used wrapped cellophane for cookies and I buy the one that says "FOOD SAFE" right on the label.  It's a bit more expensive and I have no idea if it's really made any different than the others. The only reason I buy wrapped is when I want to seriously seal the bag to the cookie and I use my heat gun to do that.  I also use just regular individual cello baggies and I have no idea if they're food safe or not but the label has pics of snacks in the baggies.  

amaniemom Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks you guys that's great info I truly appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%