Icing Smoother Vs Bench Scraper

Decorating By Alclimer Updated 20 Aug 2014 , 6:52pm by shanter

Alclimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alclimer Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

I've done a lot a research today on how to get my bc smooth. So far it looks like a scraper with crusting bc is the best bet. I've never used one before and I've come across soooo many different types. Most use a 6" metal one with the rounded handle which looks great but what if I wanted to ice a tall barrel cake. I came across the Wilton icing smoother and I wondered if anyone liked it.  It doesn't have as wide of a base/edge to set on the cake board as a bench scraper and I was wondering if that rubber handle in the middle gets in the way. Has anyone used both and if so which do you like better?  Thanks!!!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 6

i my bench scraper that is over 40 years old--sentimental favorite

plus if you do a big tall cake enlist the nearest plastic ruler--no worries--

(second time i've recommended that today ;)

not to mention--when using smbc -- you can chill the iced cake and make it perfect with the heat of your fingers--

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 10:46am
post #3 of 6

The metal bench scraper is the way to go!  You can find taller ones if you search the internet.  The Wilton scraper is a great idea but the wrong size.  The Plastic tab in the middle gets in the way so you are not able to scrape the excess icing off into the bowl-you have to use  your  fingers  or a spatula to remove.  I have sent an email to Wilton suggesting a redesign!  When I am doing a taller cake I use the bench scraper then remove the excess above with the Wilton-extra work but gets the job done...

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

I love my metal bench scraper, but when you buy yours, be on the lookout for a scraper that has a handle the full width of the scraper and that will sit at a 90 degree angle.  I love my Fat Daddio scrapers, but I had my brother cut off the rubber nubs on each end so that it would sit flush on the cake turner as I turn the cake.  Maybe I should contact them like @Walkinmomma and suggest a redesign?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 6

AI use a paint speckle (basically a bench scraper) tool. Nice and tall. I also use an engineers square sometimes. I mean I have a bunch of tools.

I bought that wilton took too I was really excited. Same problems for me as mentioned above.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

On this one, the handle is not the full length of the scraper, but they have one 12 inches long:

http://fatgirlcakes.com/store.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%