Christmas/holiday Sides/desserts And Food Traditions You ♥

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 12:01am by mfeagan

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 16

what do you look forward to serving this year? something old something new?

i'm doing gingerbread trees to ship--gonna make 'em bigger than last year and shipping peanut butter fudge too--

still in the planning stages for the meal--tbc

whada yous up to?

15 replies
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 16

for main course christmas i am pondering one of these three--never made them before

veal parmigiana

date and pistachio chicken breast with madeira sauce

short ribs

we usually have ham

LizzieAylett Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 16

I would like to attempt to make tablet this year.  It is a traditional Scottish sweetie but I've never made it before.  My friend is going to give me her recipe, so I will try a batch and see how it comes out :-)

Krypto Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 16

AI make these every year for our breakfast on Christmas morning. They are so good!

I plan on trying your strudel recipe sometime this month. I go to my grandparent's house for Christmas dinner and we all bring a dish. I normally bring homemade rolls and dessert. (of course!) We have a very traditional southern meal. Your menu sounds great!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 16

how cool--never heard of it--excellent post because i wanna broaden my food horizons--

from allrecipes: "This is an amazingly good traditional Scottish confection, like a dulce de leche fudge."

dulce de leche fudge? no problem!

please report back how it goes if you want--but no pressure

LizzieAylett Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 16

Will do, Kate :-)

In my experience, tablet is firmer and crumblier than fudge, and very sweet.  No wonder us Scots have such bad dental health!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 16

krypto, ooohhh, gimme some! ;)

i have less than no will power with yeasted baked goods--i have no peace until every last morsel is gone/eaten--ahhh the good old days--hahaha

i hope your strudel-ing goes very well 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 16

i'm with krypto-- i don't think there's a better time in the year for great yeasted baked goods than christmas/holiday time

i make tea rings for the holidays--they are so simple and ridiculously irresistible--we have a doctor friend who calls them a 'controlled substance'--i have a picture somewhere of my trunk loaded up with them--

they are simply a typical refrigerator potato roll dough* rolled out & filled generously with clarified butter and a thick layer of brown sugar--it caramelizes in the oven and it transforms into something celestial--often delivered to the neighbors on christmas morning still hot from the oven--these come up in conversation in the summer--they are absurd--

over the years i started adding ground walnuts to help balance the sugar blast--and some of the filling bakes out and this is the most wonderful caramel--omg--  but i use 2 pkgs yeast and shortening instead of butter to keep the way clear for the butter in the filling--each recipe makes up into 3 tea rings--because the dough is cold when you roll it out you  can get a generous layer of butter to stand up on it--it firms up--then slather on a good 1/4 inch of brown sugar--

makes the best most user friendly rolls for supper too--make the dough up they day before --then just form them early enough on the day of and away you go--let 'em rise--pop in the oven--the aromatherapy is intoxicating~~~ ~~

mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 16

Growing up with a father from Germany who emigrated here as a young boy with his family, we always have traditional German food for Christmas. Sauerbraten, fried or sweet & sour red cabbage, spatzle, knödel, and lebkuchen. It wouldn't be Christmas without it!! 

Now we have a lot of extended family who don't like the German side of things (shame on them!…more for me!). So we always cook a turkey and have regular mashed potatoes and green beans. It helps for the boring few in our lives…including my husband. haha! 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 16

oh man that all sounds so good! my daughter & son-in-law have thankfully taken over the tradition of making pierogis --

i love me some sauerbraten--last time i made it i put too many ginger cookies in there--ruh roh

and i'll have a few lebkuchen--calorie free over the internet ;)

mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 16

MMMMMmmmm! Pierogis! 

Hmmm…dinner idea this week! Thanks! :o)

MBalaska Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:49am
post #12 of 16

This year it's Homemade Chicken Pot Pie, no roasting for me.

spatzle-- haven't had it since I was a kid.  Brandied suet pudding also.

IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 6:51am
post #13 of 16

AEvery year on Christmas Eve, my boyfriend's dad does a ham, bland (once WAY over-peppered) mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, & canned gravy. I'm not a big fan of ham, myself, but I choke it down anyway. He always buys a bunch I pies, and I bring cookies, candies, more pies, and whatever else I feel like making. Oddly, the most popular treat the last couple years were the peppermint meringues I whipped up with a few extra whites I needed to use.

mfeagan Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

AI love meringue cookies and make them every year. This year I want to make standing snowmen meringues. Saw them on Martha Stewart years ago. The chef on there hollowed out the inside and filled with chocolate mousse. Yum!!!!

IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 16

AOoh, that sounds interesting.

mfeagan Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 12:01am
post #16 of 16

You can watch a video on how to make them too. It's not on this link. I just google it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%