MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:39am
post #1 of

BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTE No buttermilk on hand....try souring milk to use in the place of buttermilk. Here is the easy how-to-do:

- Warm the milk slightly for best results. (Microwave on HIGH for short periods of time i.e. 25 seconds, then stir well. Repeat until milk has been warmed through.) -

To each cup of warmed milk add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice OR 1 1/3 Tablespoons of cider vinegar to above milk amount. Stir well.

- Allow this mixture to set while putting the rest of the ingredients for the recipe together. Allowing the milk to set will give it time to thicken. The soured milk should have the consistency of buttermilk or yogurt. This proportion can be doubled. Note: At times the soured milk will be extra thick, a bit more soured milk may have to be added to the recipe to get the proper consistency.

- Plan to use the same amount of soured milk as is called for buttermilk in the recipe.

- If the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of buttermilk...it is best to 'sour' a whole cup of milk for a more even consistency. Just refrigerate the leftover soured milk and try using it for buttermilk pancakes the next day! Milk that you have soured will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Place in a tightly covered container.

 

(found this on the internet so maybe it's good info, maybe not?)

 

Here's the situation.  I can't purchase Whole Fat Buttermilk locally. They just have low fat sometimes.  There are many tempting recipes I'm discovering with WFB as an ingredient. 

 

The store does sell powdered buttermilk, but having used powdered whole milk before, I doubt that powdered buttermilk will be satisfying in a pastry( I may also be wrong about that.)

 

So it occurred to me that I could sour whole milk with the lemon or vinegar method and get good richness and flavor. (I may also be wrong about that.)

(this is part of the down side of living at the top of the planet in the boonies.)

:detective:

8 replies
Dayti Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:21am
post #2 of

I do this all the time, I can't easily get buttermilk here. I use 1tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice if you have any at hand, but it doesn't make a difference), and make it up to 1 cup with whole milk/full fat milk/whatever you call it over there. I don't bother heating the milk, just make sure it's at room temperature. Stir well and let it sit for 5 or 10 mins, stir occasionally. 

MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 1:32pm
post #3 of

Same as what Dayti said. I never buy buttermilk anymore, and I don't warm milk before adding vinegar (or lemon juice). I don't even wait the recommended 5 or 10 minutes. The results are always great.

MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 7:55pm
post #4 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 
 

I do this all the time, I can't easily get buttermilk here. I use 1tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice if you have any at hand, but it doesn't make a difference), and make it up to 1 cup with whole milk/full fat milk/whatever you call it over there. I don't bother heating the milk, just make sure it's at room temperature. Stir well and let it sit for 5 or 10 mins, stir occasionally.

Dayti: glad you answered from halfway around the globe from me.  There must be plenty of other people who do not have easy access to Whole Fat Buttermilk.  It's good news that you can't tell a difference in the recipe if you use either vinegar or lemon juice.  Thanks Dayti,

Cheers,

mb

MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:08pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

Same as what Dayti said. I never buy buttermilk anymore, and I don't warm milk before adding vinegar (or lemon juice). I don't even wait the recommended 5 or 10 minutes. The results are always great.

Mimi: How serendipitous that you answered today, as it is the 'vanilla cupcake' recipe in your book that I wanted to make.  I didn't mind using the low fat buttermilk in your 'double chocolate coconut muffin' recipe from your other book, (as it's a breakfast food and a meal in itself.)

 

However for the cupcakes I wanted the full shebang of butter fat.  (I'm old enough to wear purple, eat sticks of butter, and wear red floppy hats now.)  Even better is the knowledge that I can make it myself at any time for pennies, with no waste.  Thanks Mimi.

Cheers,

mb

MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:11pm
post #6 of

not having to buy buttermilk again :smile:

MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:19pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

not having to buy buttermilk again :smile:

 

;-D Saves money and fridge space! 

Cher2309b Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #8 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTE No buttermilk on hand....try souring milk to use in the place of buttermilk. Here is the easy how-to-do:

- Warm the milk slightly for best results. (Microwave on HIGH for short periods of time i.e. 25 seconds, then stir well. Repeat until milk has been warmed through.) -

To each cup of warmed milk add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice OR 1 1/3 Tablespoons of cider vinegar to above milk amount. Stir well.

- Allow this mixture to set while putting the rest of the ingredients for the recipe together. Allowing the milk to set will give it time to thicken. The soured milk should have the consistency of buttermilk or yogurt. This proportion can be doubled. Note: At times the soured milk will be extra thick, a bit more soured milk may have to be added to the recipe to get the proper consistency.

- Plan to use the same amount of soured milk as is called for buttermilk in the recipe.

- If the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of buttermilk...it is best to 'sour' a whole cup of milk for a more even consistency. Just refrigerate the leftover soured milk and try using it for buttermilk pancakes the next day! Milk that you have soured will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Place in a tightly covered container.

 

(found this on the internet so maybe it's good info, maybe not?)

 

Here's the situation.  I can't purchase Whole Fat Buttermilk locally. They just have low fat sometimes.  There are many tempting recipes I'm discovering with WFB as an ingredient. 

 

The store does sell powdered buttermilk, but having used powdered whole milk before, I doubt that powdered buttermilk will be satisfying in a pastry( I may also be wrong about that.)

 

So it occurred to me that I could sour whole milk with the lemon or vinegar method and get good richness and flavor. (I may also be wrong about that.)

(this is part of the down side of living at the top of the planet in the boonies.)

:detective:

You probably don't have access to almond milk either but I have used it successfully with a teaspoon of lemon juice as a dairy-free substitute for buttermilk in cakes. (Quantity  of almond milk isn't important; you just don't need much lemon juice.)

MBalaska Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 3:47am
post #9 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cher2309b 
 You probably don't have access to almond milk either but I have used it successfully with a teaspoon of lemon juice as a dairy-free substitute for buttermilk in cakes. (Quantity  of almond milk isn't important; you just don't need much lemon juice.)

Cher2309b:  almond milk as dairy free buttermilk substitute, would have never thought of it.

nice to read these tips.   Wonder if Soy Milk would also work this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%